news transmission just below cb band

kc5uta

Has anyone ever heard a news transmission at approx 26.106mhz +|- a few khz?
background...I live in south Texas the transmission was heard intermittently from about 1800 to 1900 local time or (00.00 -0100 utc) Definitely an AM signal, never heard a station identifier, but it was definitely a broadcast, or maybe a feed for a broadcast station, ended at exactly 1900.

kc5uta

I was thinking of possibility that too, but this was definately a "canned" broadcast, vs field work. I stumbled on to it by accident while scanning up the bands. The only thing similar that Ive heard in the past, was a remote feed/link in the 440mhz region, linked up to a local FM station. the link was just above the ham band, but only was heard on an intermittent basis...who knows?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It can be the feed going from the station back to the reporter, so essentially just program audio. Sometimes they may be running IFB (interrupted feed back) which is program audio where a director has the ability to interrupt that and communicate back to the reporter.

Sometimes they get turned up and not used, so you'll just hear the regular programming on them.

kc5uta

That seems very plausible, thanks for the input.! Ive been slowly rebuilding my shack, and one of the things i want to start doing (besides rag-chewing on repeaters or HF ) is listening to all the weird stuff on SW and or non ham or CB chatter. I may be posting again soon asking for more input! (y)

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Were you at home or mobile? Was most likely from a live truck nearby.

We still have Comrex Cue lowband IFB transmitters in our live trucks as a backup. Truck has a TK790 to receive our UHF 450Mhz citywide IFB channel. The audio is piped into the Comrex lowband transmitter, then received by a small beltpack on the news anchor.

COMREX CTA