Newton County Radio Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonesym20

Hey, I got a buddy who is going down to Newton County this week and he'll be testing radio reception quality for a new public service system. If anyone is monitoring this week you should be able to pick up some stuff. Just thought I'd let you all know.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Hey, I got a buddy who is going down to Newton County this week and he'll be testing radio reception quality for a new public service system. If anyone is monitoring this week you should be able to pick up some stuff. Just thought I'd let you all know.

800 TRS? Motherola or MA/Comm?

Premium Subscriber
Forget it !

It's the new open sky system..... cross Newton county off your scan list. Coming soon.

jrm5265

July 29

were supposed to be on it with radios in hand July 29, they set up a tent at 911 this week and units have been coming by to get programmed, our unit is going to be portables only, we dont actually have ours yet. A couple of interesting or I might say disappointing things:
Only a few people will be allowed to scan, since too many units scanning will tie up system, Thats what weve been told

I was also told that off duty people will be encouraged to turn off their units, too many units online will also slow system, I was later told that by someone else at 911 that I could probably disregard that, I hope so I usually leave my radio on all the time

They have installed VHF radios at a site so that some VHF freqs in adjoining counties can be easily patched to us, but I guess those wont be hot all the time and will only be available should something happen and a dispatcher enables it.........

its going to be interesting...

JM/

Premium Subscriber
scanning will tie up the system ???? You need to talk to the folks at Loundan or MA/com having your portable in scan shouldn't be an issue.
By the way what radio model are you using ?

jrm5265

Im not sure what model the talkie is, it has some blue on the front around the display if that tells you anything its a pretty good looking radio but kinda bulky.

Premium Subscriber
That would be the P7200....Nice portable. I am using a P5300 on 900 MHz Open Sky. No issues scanning on our system

jrm5265

open sky

July 29 ended up not being our launch date. Its been put off until Aug 12...........keep those toes and fingers crossed

CSHIFTLT

Feed Provider
newton using 7250 portables (most places, may use the p801 in some non public safety)
http://www.commassocradio.com/datasheets/openskyp7250.pdf

as far as portable/mobile scanning, the system does not care, once you login, and get your profile, you can listen to as much as you want, (as long as radio manager, wants you to) the system does not care how many radios, as long you are not moving data, (reciving radios) and the patches are auto (no dispatch required)or can be intiated with consoles(dispatcher needs to know what buttons to hit and in what process) I think Newton is setting up auto patch on state fire,(154.280) and state band,(154.905) havn't heard if they are on HEAR or not.
as always moving from conventional to trunk, is a learning curve, and sometimes too many bells and whistles and most folks get overwhelmed, after the 2nd reprogram I think everyone will really like it, considring as old a system Newton was running the past couple of years.

jrm5265

ma/com roll out

well Aug 12 came and went, some of the departments are on MA/COm some still on their old VHF Open Sky showing all kinds of problems , sounds horrible big dissapointment so far maybe it will get better

Ive yet to find anybody thats impressed.........

Status
Not open for further replies.