Newtown PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt853

Your opinion, and where does it say you can't listen?
It doesn't, but it doesn't say you're guaranteed to be able to listen either just like we couldn't when digital systems first became a thing. Next time there's a Sandy Hook, we're going to have radio silence from law enforcement, and we'll get to hear about it on the news, or maybe piece it together using other services that are still in the clear. As more public safety opts in to the new statewide system, suspect most of the traffic will be encrypted because all units will be capable of it, and there won't be interop issues since it's all one big system. CSP will eventually go quiet as well, and with each troop getting its own dedicated encrypted channel, the direction where that's heading is loud and clear unlike their dispatch channels in the future.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
It would be helpful if you could be a little more specific. Encrypting law enforcement radio transmissions does not violate the law. You just can't listen in real time for free anymore. You can go down to the local police station and request an edited version of their radio traffic for a fee. I would anticipate this is the way of the future, and there's not much any one can do about it other than find other things to listen to.

That's what they want.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
I guess we'll be throwing the scanners away in the not too distant future.

I guess because we let it happen, I for one don't trust government to release timely and accurate information on anything. I remember head of DEP after 911 saying that the air by ground zero was OK, turns out it was nowhere OK. I was down there so I am a little burned by this.

APX7500X2

Your opinion, and where does it say you can't listen?

No one says you can't listen, You can listen to any PD you want, You just can't listen LIVE because its encrypted
Like he said you have every right to go down and FOI any or all of the communications

Don't confuse WANTING to listen live with NEEDING to listen live...You have the WANT not the NEED

APX7500X2

I prefer not to engage in any conversations with those that think the government should be hidden in any way especially radio communications. Look through my posts for my opinion on this subject for the last 10 or more years.

Then we agree 100% with each other. And now you know no one is hidden, and you can listen to encrypted communications by getting the recordings. 100% transparent.

mkt853

Then we agree 100% with each other. And now you know no one is hidden, and you can listen to encrypted communications by getting the recordings. 100% transparent.
Nearly 100% as departments sometimes edit the recordings to remove sensitive info. It's the same as a police report in that you can request it, but they may withhold or redact some things. I think EMS will be next to go dark, and that's already under way by dispatching EMS over encrypted PD channels. I've been told it's because of HIPPA, but who knows if that's just another excuse as I am not well versed in such legal matters.

Sile

Premium Subscriber
Newtown was selectively encrypted in 2012; during the Sandy Hook response, for example, dispatch would occasionally transmit encrypted to officers on scene--never encrypted when transmitting to Newtown Fire/EMS, though (at least during that call).

Status
Not open for further replies.