• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nexedge audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I am preparing to install a Nexedge repeater at an existing site. I'm looking for an audio sample of an existing site that I can use for training presentation. Can someone upload a clip or point me to a RR audio feed that uses Nexedge.

I know Kenwood and Icom have examples on their sites, but I'm looking for real life examples that are non bias.

Also, any tips appreciated.

We will be using mixed Kenwood & Icom products and have been told they will mesh without issues and using Analog/Digital mode.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Darrin
KB8ECF

ces911

if you search google there might be some recorded audio from actual sites..

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Canav844, thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.

Darrin kb8ecf

Sent from the trenches of Cbus on my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
if you search google there might be some recorded audio from actual sites..

There might not also. Don't waist your time or mine...

Darrin kb8ecf

Sent from the trenches of Cbus on my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
As you're on the subject of Nexedge audio, Kenwoods' latest firmware allows for quite a bit of audio shaping. When set correctly between transmit and receive, it sounds pretty darn good. On the other hand, you can kludge it up to the point it's downright "in the mud". I'm not sure exactly what Icom provides (I'll have to look), but if you're going to mix the two, I would spend the time to experiment to see what works best for you. Factory default doesn't necessarily mean the best sounding audio (at least to your ears).

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
As you're on the subject of Nexedge audio, Kenwoods' latest firmware allows for quite a bit of audio shaping. When set correctly between transmit and receive, it sounds pretty darn good. On the other hand, you can kludge it up to the point it's downright "in the mud". I'm not sure exactly what Icom provides (I'll have to look), but if you're going to mix the two, I would spend the time to experiment to see what works best for you. Factory default doesn't necessarily mean the best sounding audio (at least to your ears).

Thanks. I will keep an eye on this thread and post what my results are.

nexeradio

Thanks for all your support RAMAL121 your effort is much appreciated in this forum.

Can you or anybody else here share some filtering configuration that worked best for them.

We have an NXDN trunk 5 site system and we have been experimenting with audio filters.

in most cases we use Enhanced Mic One for the regular front mic.
RX AUDIO > low cut selected > auto gain OFF > equalizer FLAT
TX AUDIO > Noise suppressor selected > Auto gain ON > equalizer > FLAT

In non noisy environment its been working Ok.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
In my testing on NXDN signals and surveillance of existing customers I find the biggest contributor to digital artifacts is on the low frequency audio range. With this in mind, I have been adjusting the audio for NXDN to be more "bright" with good success.

Here's what I find works fairly good:

Rx audio response - low cut checked, audio gain off, audio equalizer flat
Tx audio response - noise supressor checked, audio gain off, audio equalizer high boost.

I am not a fan of AGC as it will only increase background noise. If a customer complains of low volume, I just tell them to speak up. You'll have to twist my arm to enable AGC.

Be aware that for whatever audio shaping you use, all radios need to be set the same otherwise mismatched radios will sound different. I guess this goes without saying.

Also when you state "enhanced mic one" are you are referring to "external mic". This is for portables that use a speaker mic and you should select the one for the model you are using.

nexeradio

Also when you state "enhanced mic one" are you are referring to "external mic". This is for portables that use a speaker mic and you should select the one for the model you are using.

The standard KMC-35 mic that comes with the NX-700/800 radios. according to the help under kpg111D if you are using the KMC-35 mic you need to chose Microphone one for the external mic option.

LTR

Here are my audio settings:

RX Audio - low cut checked, auto gain Low, equalizer Flat.
TX Audio - noise suppressor checked, auto gain Off, equalizer Flat.

I have also noticed that too much AGC adds more noise than necessary, but with it set to low on the RX side, it seems to help with the low audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.