Next generation 885 hybrid cb & scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trucker700

Now that I've had my 885 for a bit over a year, I thought it might be fun to speculate on what the next version of the 885 would benefit from having.
While overall, I like the 885, it has several shortcomings, that really should be addressed.
1. Dim display.
A lot of truckers, myself included, have their CB mounted above the windshield, just below a storage area, on a plate that the manufacturer builds into the bottom of the overhead storage. This keeps the radio from blocking the driver's view, while putting all controls in an easy to reach place.
Every cb I have ever used in that position, has been easy to view, even in full sunlight. All except Uniden's 880, 885 and the 980 SSB radio. No matter the color, contrast or brightness settings used, it is almost impossible to see all the display on a bright, sunny day. You can barely see the channel numbers.
The next version should have a backlit LCD display, like the BCD536HP, not an LED display that's half as bright as it should be even at max settings.
2.Heat
The 885 gets extremely hot. Almost too hot to touch for any length of time. It has no ventilation to allow any airflow to help keep the radio from getting so hot. I believe excess heat will shorten the life of the radio.
3. Firmware updates and upgrades.
It appears there is no way to update the radio's firmware. Muchless add upgrades like DMR, ProVoice or NXDN.
I have encountered signals in the four service categories, (Police,Fire,Ambulance,DOT) that, after doing some research, sound just like NXDN and ProVoice, when compared to raw recordings I've found. To me, it makes sense to be able to add those upgrades as it offers more chances of hearing if there's something going on down the road, that could potentially xelay me in getting to my destination on time.
4. Mobile mounting
I don't understand why the radios only have one mounting hole on each side of the radio to attach the radio to the bracket.
No matter how much you tighten the screws, on a bumpy road, they will loosen just enough to allow the radio to move around.
Two hole and bolts on each side would be stronger and vibration resistant.
5. Scan CB channels.
The 980 does it. And it works great. Especially, when I'm in a quarry that I've never been in before and there's no sign telling what channel(s) they are using. With the 980, I just set it to scan the cb channels and I quickly find what channels they use.
Finally, a suggestion. Add a bluetooth system to the radio and create an app that allows some customization that one can do while stationary.
Better yet, once the bugs are ironed out, how about utilizing the SDS100's architecture, in this next generation radio?
The possibilities would be almost endless.
Anyway, just thought I'd share a bit on what I would like to see in a hybrid CB/Scanner combo.
Trucker

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1. Dim display.

I remember when I was a kid, my dad always complained about the newer CB radios with the red LED displays for channel numbers. He's color blind and always had trouble reading them. Back then, almost all of them used the red LED's, he was really happy when he was able to find one with a green LED display.

Sometimes the design guys miss this sort of stuff. Sometimes they just don't understand the usage.

4. Mobile mounting

Most commercial LMR radios have this. Not sure how Uniden could miss that design feature. I seem to recall back when I used CB heavily, I had the same issue. A split washer/lock washer usually helped.
I'm sure it's intended to make it easily adjustable, however, usually they are set and forget, not like you gotta move them around a lot.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No matter how much you tighten the screws, on a bumpy road, they will loosen just enough to allow the radio to move around.

Blue Loctite works wonders on that sort of thing. It keeps scope mount screws on firearms from vibrating loose from the vibration of firing, even on large-caliber rifles. Apply enough to the mounting screws to get them wet without dripping off, tighten, and forget about it.

DJ11DLN

Blue Loctite works wonders on that sort of thing. It keeps scope mount screws on firearms from vibrating loose from the vibration of firing, even on large-caliber rifles. Apply enough to the mounting screws to get them wet without dripping off, tighten, and forget about it.

I like this version, works great and not messy at all. Just rub a little on the threads. Doesn't dry out or freeze the cap in place either.

That however doesn't address the issue. Very few CB's I've ever seen had four-hole mounting brackets, while the vast majority of commercial gear I've encountered does. Not knocking Uniden here, they're definitely not the only ones who get away with the 2-hole brackets on their CB's. And even using thread locker, vibration can eventually move the radio in the bracket. Rubber-backed washers do help to an extent but 4-point mounting would solve the problem without requiring any user-applied improvisation.

Attachments

• loctite_blue_stick.jpg
    loctite_blue_stick.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 183

Trucker700

While Loctite would work, it shouldn't even be needed.
I have several older Cobra CB'S and a couple of "10 Meter"
Radios that I was given. Yes, I know they're not really amateur radios..... but free is free and I repaired them. And Tuned them with proper test gear. So, they're not over driven splatter boxes.
But, every one of the radios I mentioned, comes with four threaded holes(two to a side) and a sturdy mounting bracket. Very strong and no working loose.
Surely it wouldn't add that much to production costs.
But, would do without the 4 hole mounting to get the other things I mentioned put into a new, improved, 885.
Trucker

Status
Not open for further replies.