Nextel and Police Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So, my question is. Sometimes I'll hear "2-2-3, Dispatch Data on one/plate, Nextel"

And then I hear nothing on the normal frequency?

Or, I will hear "Dispatch all units monitor Nextel for general broadcast"

I always hear them taking about Nextel ALL THE TIME. It seems like they use Nextel more than their normal analog radio system. If it helps I know they use "Motorola P110" radios I know they are really big, the Nextels they use I think are Motorola I365
My question is; why is this? Is the quality of Nextel better than analog radios? The police department of my city is only about 42,000k people, give or take. :)

SCPD

QRT
Nextel can't be monitored so my guess would be that it's used in lieu of encrypted radios. If that's the case they have the best of both worlds... a secure two way radio system, on an as needed basis, and a cell phone. Also, it's probably cheaper to pay for a few phones than to install a whole new system with encryption.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Frootydawg has it right. In my area just about every agency has (or had) Nextels and used them for traffic not desired to be on the main channels. Convenience and security are the main reasons. It is a cheap way to get encryption and have a phone to boot.

Recently however many agencies have been moving away from Nextel in favor of other cellular services due to service issues. Nextel has not been investing in infrastructure in recent years and coverage has suffered.

Around here some agencies that have switched off of Nextel to Verizon or other carrier's PTT service still refer to it as "Nextel" akin to the use of Kleenex or Coke to describe facial tissues or soda pop.

ecps92

Sounds like the Officer/Cruiser is assigned a Nextel on-shift and they have a Group Call [if they are using it for a BOLO] as well as the normal PTT

So, my question is. Sometimes I'll hear "2-2-3, Dispatch Data on one/plate, Nextel"

And then I hear nothing on the normal frequency?

Or, I will hear "Dispatch all units monitor Nextel for general broadcast"

I always hear them taking about Nextel ALL THE TIME. It seems like they use Nextel more than their normal analog radio system. If it helps I know they use "Motorola P110" radios I know they are really big, the Nextels they use I think are Motorola I365
My question is; why is this? Is the quality of Nextel better than analog radios? The police department of my city is only about 42,000k people, give or take. :)

reedeb

YUP just about everywhere I worked, officers carried em and were used very much. Many times instead of saying on the air Hey give me a call, they would use a code word so "scannerland" didn't catch on.. Sounds a lot better then paying millions for all these new systems and ecryption hence annoying the taxpayers don't ya think?

[EDIT to add] also other departments in other towns can talk to each other all they need to do is set it up, Nice when you're the only officer on duty and the guys next door are your backup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.