Nextel Direct Talk On A Cruise Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have searched the forums and there are some threads about Nextel Direct Talk, but I am specifically wondering if anybody has ever used these of a cruise ship. I have been on several cruise during my lifetime and I have used Direct Talk, BUT I have never used Direct Talk on a crusie ship. We already have some old Nextels, so that isn't a problem. We already have GSM phones, but either I won't use them in the Caribbean or I will buy a pre-paid SIM card for on the islands. Anyway, I am most concerned with simplex on ship comminications. Since the Direct Talk isn't very powerful AND there is so much steel in the ship, I am pretty sure coverage will be very limited, but it still might be fun to try.

As an aside, one of my GSM phones is a Garminfone, so I might consider springing for maps for the Caribbean IF I read that they are decent. I have read in the past that some after matket mapping software can lead a LOT To be desired!

http://forums.radioreference.com/tavern-archives/68613-nextel-direct-talk.html

Last edited:

ecps92

Give it a try, since Disney uses 800TRS on their ships it must not be an issue with pentration. Post back what you find for results.

Even FRS/GMRS has pentration issues from time-time depending on where the two persons are. Too much connectivity for me, leave the notes on the door or the phone in the room :) Disconnect from Society, it's a """V A C A T I O N""" :p

Shame that even now RCCL is putting IPDADs in the rooms of the ships as they refit.

I have searched the forums and there are some threads about Nextel Direct Talk, but I am specifically wondering if anybody has ever used these of a cruise ship. I have been on several cruise during my lifetime and I have used Direct Talk, BUT I have never used Direct Talk on a crusie ship. We already have some old Nextels, so that isn't a problem. We already have GSM phones, but either I won't use them in the Caribbean or I will buy a pre-paid SIM card for on the islands. Anyway, I am most concerned with simplex on ship comminications. Since the Direct Talk isn't very powerful AND there is so much steel in the ship, I am pretty sure coverage will be very limited, but it still might be fun to try.

As an aside, one of my GSM phones is a Garminfone, so I might consider springing for maps for the Caribbean IF I read that they are decent. I have read in the past that some after matket mapping software can lead a LOT To be desired!

http://forums.radioreference.com/tavern-archives/68613-nextel-direct-talk.html

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I would have to say good luck on the Direct Talk. I doubt the units are any more than about 2 watts. The TRS on the ship is probably a good 40 watts or so and I'm sure they have many access points around the ship. I would say GMRS or FRS would work better (4 watts & UHF), but even MURS (VHF) would probably be even better.

ecps92

FRS is well below 1 watt and appears to work well on-board [due to hearing the annoying Blurp-blarps in many places on-board]

"I'm at the pool"
"Which one?"
"On the Top Deck"
"But there are 3 of them"
"on the left side"

I would have to say good luck on the Direct Talk. I doubt the units are any more than about 2 watts. The TRS on the ship is probably a good 40 watts or so and I'm sure they have many access points around the ship. I would say GMRS or FRS would work better (4 watts & UHF), but even MURS (VHF) would probably be even better.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Batboard • View topic - Nextel--Direct Talk

I found an older post on a different forum on this very thing!

".....Re: Nextel--Direct Talk

Postby batdude » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:15 pm
just an FYI here

I was recently in the Bahamas (Nassau) - and of course, they have no "Nextel" network (Sprint did work tho - on roaming)

i was able to talk FROM THE *INSIDE* OF THE CRUISE SHIP to our party while they were ashore - well over 1/4 mile and thru the steel hull of the ship.

also - the DT feature worked VERY VERY WELL onboard the vessel.... forward to stern...... I was - quite frankly - VERY impressed....."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.