Nextel Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
When Disney dismantals their 800/900 MHZ systems and switches to NEXTEL does that mean the end hearing Disney Operations.

mikey60

marcp90 said:
When Disney dismantals their 800/900 MHZ systems and switches to NEXTEL does that mean the end hearing Disney Operations.

Yep! No scanners on the market today that can monitor IDEN, and they aren't likely anytime soon either..

Mike

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
Soon, I am supposed to go to that area and see relatives in February. I hope they can keep the Motorola systems running by then. If not than o well the County Public Safety Trunked Systems are probably more interesting than Disney.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Why would Disney sell off their system(s), one that happens to be narrowband compliant by using digital, that cost millions of dollars to go to Nextel? Not very realistic.

Where did you hear this *rumor*?

mr_hankey

yep - qualify this rumor.

Nextel recently failed under Hurricanes Charley and Frances for certain sections of the State of Florida...

but maybe Disneyworld is willing to live with this high-priced but sporadic interpark communications system?

if i were them, i'd do LTR Passport.

fl-dj

This is not a rumor, 10 sites are online on park property, channels from the old 800 system are now online in areas outside of disney and in use by Nextel and about 1/3rd of park operations are now on Nextel. As usual Nextel didn't wait to turn on the new freqs at their sites, only problem was that they forgot to wait for Disney to power those freqs off so they caused interference.

As to why anyone would do this? Beyond me, loose control of your own private system to have someone come in and build out a new system that you have to pay to use on your own old channels that are no longer under your license which were worth about a mil each if you had just sold a few to build out your own new system.

Reedy Creek also signed the deal with the devil and will migrate sometime in the next year, they took a wait and see attitude to assure this was a good move before they turned off their old system.

Either way the last time I dialed up the system it had many channels disabled at the controller.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You can bet that the "homeland security" buzz word came up a lot as the NEXTEL system can't be monitored by consumer scanners. Don't be suprised if they used that as a marketing tool.

As to why...I have no idea. They system covered their geography quite well and was able to communicate with Orange County with just the twist of the knob. Now they are back to level 1 and 2 interoperability.

dsnymj

Premium Subscriber
fl-dj said:
This is not a rumor, 10 sites are online on park property, channels from the old 800 system are now online in areas outside of disney and in use by Nextel and about 1/3rd of park operations are now on Nextel. As usual Nextel didn't wait to turn on the new freqs at their sites, only problem was that they forgot to wait for Disney to power those freqs off so they caused interference.

Having just returned to California's mouse-house on Monday after 6 days/nights at Florida's mouse-house, most of which was spent with my Pro96 attached to my ear and my eyes checking out every radio visible, I can confirm that EPCOT (including the Echo security TG) and the watercraft are now on Nextel. The UHF frequencies previously used at EPCOT were pretty quiet. MK and the MK resorts are still alive on UHF, but for how long?

I've yett to compare the published lists of TGs for the 2000, 7414, and 4B0C systems to what I heard but I'm pretty sure that I heard many less groups on the 2000 and 7414 systems than I did when I was there last December.

I guess I'll just have to go on rides or find something else to do next time I visit...

Mark

fl-dj

You came all the way here, spent money to go to the parks and didn't go on rides but rather played with your radio? Dr. Phil and you should talk...

I guess I'll just have to go on rides or find something else to do next time I visit...

Mark[/quote]

dsnymj

Premium Subscriber
fl-dj said:
You came all the way here, spent money to go to the parks and didn't go on rides but rather played with your radio? Dr. Phil and you should talk...

Dr. Phil might figure out that someone might NOT necessarily have to pay to go to the parks... I did come all the way there, spent money on food, hotel, and souvenirs but I've only had to spend money to enter the parks for about 15 of the ~115 days I've entered a Florida Disney park since January of 1990. Every entry was legal - can you imagine how this might be possible?

Theme park comms and how the "magic is made" have interested me since the mid-80s - on both coasts - and being able to hear what's going on will be missed. It might actually get to the point where TSA won't be checking my bag due to the presence of radios.

mikey60

dsnymj said:
Theme park comms and how the "magic is made" have interested me since the mid-80s - on both coasts - and being able to hear what's going on will be missed. It might actually get to the point where TSA won't be checking my bag due to the presence of radios.

Like THAT will ever happen. I think you carry more radio equipment than I ever have... ;)

Mike

dsnymj

Premium Subscriber
mikey60 said:
Like THAT will ever happen. I think you carry more radio equipment than I ever have... ;)

Though this is usually true, I *only* had my -96, 8k, and little Yaesu with me this time - didn't even use my equipment case - and the Trunker setup was left at home this trip. TSA still felt they had to swab my computer bag each time they saw it.

You've got kids to lug around - less room for radios!

Mark J.

Status
Not open for further replies.