NEXTEL going away

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
It is difficult to believe there isn't a profitable market for Nextel-type phones. Their ability to play pranks on your coworkers were priceless.

Last edited:

ecps92

Sprint has 3 phones on the new Sprint Direct Connect network and it is backwards compatible with the older phones on the Nextel Direct Connect network.

I'm not happy with the Droid version as it's a vampire on the battery and i need to keep myself close to a power source or tethered to the computer

If upgrading keep an eye out for the best rates on converting, my Droix was only $0.99

It is difficult to believe there isn't a profitable market for Nextel-type phones. Their ability to play pranks on your coworkers were priceless.

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Shouldn't this be in another thread other than Oklahoma since this is going to happen nationwide. Also I wonder what Disney World and Disneyland are going to do when Nextel goes away.

My theory is in order for Disney World is

1) Switch to the Sprint 1900 CDMA Direct Connect network
2) Move security to the Reedy Creek P25 system with full encryption and other park services to a 900 MHz MotoTRBO or P25 platform (Motorola has one for 900 MHz now) and give necessary workers cell phones.
3) Move the Nextel platform into a private iDEN system for Disney World.

Thayne

Are they using the new scheme at all yet?
I dropped the service on my old IDEN phone about 6 mo's ago and have not heard any griping about the new service, but I bet it won't work as good except that the coverage will be much better.. I have verizon push to talk now & it is way slower to connect but it works everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.