• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nextel i580 & Direct Talk

K7AAR

I have been missing the old Nextel Direct Connect (no longer available) and Direct Talk, as I had Nextel, back in the day. I started looking around and found two brand new in the box i580 for $40 total, so I ordered them and they arrived today. I also ordered three used Nextel SIM cards and an i355, which I will get next week. Upon getting the i580s today, I open them up and seen that they had existing SIM cards in the slots, so I installed the batteries and fire them up. They went into the home screen so I was able to navigate through the menu got into the direct talk option and set them up to boot into direct talk and channel 1, code 15 on both handsets. I decided I would then reboot the phones before trying Direct Talk, which obviously was a mistake. Now when they boot up they go to the home screen but it says no service but it shows the walkie-talkie icon on the screen. I know there has been some threads about Nextel Direct connect and I'm wondering if somebody may be able to get me to the next step on these phones.

I'm wondering if somebody may be able to get me to the next step

Last edited:

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The Nextel infrastructure also went away. I believe the FCC mandated that Nextel had to sell their frequencies to Public Safety Agencies. Also, I believe the Technology that Nextel was using is longer being used these days.

What you have now are antique paper weights and non-wireless conversation pieces.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Nextel infrastructure also went away. I believe the FCC mandated that Nextel had to sell their frequencies to Public Safety Agencies. Also, I believe the Technology that Nextel was using is longer being used these days.

What you have now are antique paper weights and non-wireless conversation pieces.

Nextel was bought by Sprint, and they took over those systems/frequencies. Later on, T-Mobile bought Sprint….
With 800MHz rebanding, they had to slide Part 90 users down 15MHz.
Sprint got to keep their stuff with some adjustments.

Sprint shut down iDEN pretty quickly and reused those frequencies for their cellular.

I'm sure there's some iDEN running somewhere, they did sell it to private users.

K7AAR

Sir,,I said DIRECT TALK,,it is 900mhx direct comms.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
No help, but the i580 was my favorest ( :p ) Nextel device. Next was myi325's. I still have all of my Nextel handsets, starting with an i600.

K7AAR

No help, but the i580 was my favorest ( :p ) Nextel device. Next was myi325's. I still have all of my Nextel handsets, starting with an i600.

Here is the list is phone with DIRECT TALK, which still works,,1-2 mile in the city,,farther in the country.

Attachments

• 1711748758339.jpg
    1711748758339.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 25

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
if you go to Dayton Hamvention, bring them and set up on channel 1 code 1 and you will sometimes hear other direct talk users there. im on there when i can remember to bring my i355 and i576 and ill be there this year.

K7AAR

if you go to Dayton Hamvention, bring them and set up on channel 1 code 1 and you will sometimes hear other direct talk users there. im on there when i can remember to bring my i355 and i576 and ill be there this year.
I won't be at the ham convention as I'm in texas. But I've got them working great I will be doing distance testing this weekend I'm out in the middle of the country so I'm hoping for a half mile minimum and up to a mile if not farther. What I really like about the old direct talk is it's 900 MHz but it's a scrambled frequency plan. Fun times!

Attachments

• 1711748758339.jpg
    1711748758339.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 9

radioman2008

Premium Subscriber
I won't be at the ham convention as I'm in texas. But I've got them working great I will be doing distance testing this weekend I'm out in the middle of the country so I'm hoping for a half mile minimum and up to a mile if not farther. What I really like about the old direct talk is it's 900 MHz but it's a scrambled frequency plan. Fun times!
true that a scanner wont decode you.
thats what i like about the old motorola astro sabers and xts3000's that ran VSELP digital (most digital models of them found today are P25). nothing but a VSELP radio can decode it, not even a digital scanner. its not encryption so its green light on the ham band too :)

K7AAR

true that a scanner wont decode you.
thats what i like about the old motorola astro sabers and xts3000's that ran VSELP digital (most digital models of them found today are P25). nothing but a VSELP radio can decode it, not even a digital scanner. its not encryption so its green light on the ham band too :)
I assume the only organization able to decode it would be one of the government agencies, with 3 letters?

K7AAR

3.15 mile hop (phone to phone) This was up on a hill, back to the bunkhouse. Nextel Handset is 60 milliwatts (0.06 watt)

Attachments

• 1712888264201.jpg
    1712888264201.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 5

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I know two of abandoned Nextel shelters with iden equipment still in if you are looking for a project

😁

rescuecomm

The output from the NEXTEL phones on Direct Talk should be the same as on the now defunct Direct Connect. That is about 0.600 watts or 600 mw. The 902-928 ISM Band limit is 1 watt for spread spectrum.

K7AAR

The output from the NEXTEL phones on Direct Talk should be the same as on the now defunct Direct Connect. That is about 0.600 watts or 600 mw. The 902-928 ISM Band limit is 1 watt for spread spectrum.

I have gotten 3.28 miles (phone to phone) This adapter says it fits the i355, but it does not seem to drop all the way in. Here is the listing. External Antenna Adapter Cable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RS3I6Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 1713394023478.jpg

rescuecomm

Nice antenna setup. I've only used the threaded-on fixed antenna setups on the I355. They worked on cruises when we were ashore. Legality of use - ??? No time spent in a Caribbean prison so far.

What are you using for batteries?

radioman2008

Premium Subscriber
I know two of abandoned Nextel shelters with iden equipment still in if you are looking for a project

😁
a few months ago, I stumbled across a power transmission tower with a cell site platform at the top, no antennas or anything up on the platform. about half a block away on a main road was some cabinets that had "Nextel" on the plates and some kind of fiber connection box that had NEXTEL in the phone company's typical orange and black labels.
I assumed abandoned.

K7AAR

So far I have bought (2) i580's & (2) i355's. All 4 came with sim cards and the batteries hold a decent charge. Really like to figure out this adapter issue there's a guy that did the same thing with an antenna and he got 14 miles from base to someone driving around.