Nextel in Newport News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

The network formerly known as Nextel has been shut down for quite a while now, I think 6-30-13 was their nationwide turn off date. I know many of the sites are still there. Some don't have power anymore and buildings are stripped but I think Sprint may have plans for some of them. I only know of one in my area where the antennas, lines, and shelter were completely removed. I read an article discussing Sprint using all those 800 MHz channels put together to make a CDMA or LTE channel. Not sure of any details.

Last edited:

ecps92

Nextels IDEN has been DOA since they shut down last year.

However, don't confuse the various TRS's that Nextel originally ran while building the IDEN Network and never converted over to IDEN, many of these (under multiple Nextel names etc) can still be found in use. YMMV tho

Interesting that the License is for only Two Freq's

Does anyone on the peninsula know whether this business trs is still active?
Nextel (Newport News) Trunking System, Newport News, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

kc4jgc

I knew the iDEN was shut down; just wondering about the trs. I too think it was interesting that that there is only 3 freqs and only one company using 5 TG's. Of course, the last update was in 2006. That's why I'm asking if anyone knew if was still active. May be worth programming to see if it is still on the air.

ecps92

I only see two Freqs in the current FCC license.

Sadly as for the TG's it is a lot of work to sit and ID various TG's on trunked systems. Many of us will do it, but it can take months of monitoring to ID the users. Sadly much of the RR population still doesn't realise that the DB is populated by user contributions not by [magic dust]

Some of those old TRS's are still running but minimal use. I know I sat on one in Maine for 3 days w/o even an affiliation

I knew the iDEN was shut down; just wondering about the trs. I too think it was interesting that that there is only 3 freqs and only one company using 5 TG's. Of course, the last update was in 2006. That's why I'm asking if anyone knew if was still active. May be worth programming to see if it is still on the air.

reconrider8

kinda the same way the old progress energy 900 system is ive sat for a few days and only got one or 2 hits and that wasnt much of anything

W4UVV

Branscombe Concrete trs

Does anyone on the peninsula know whether this business trs is still active?
Nextel (Newport News) Trunking System, Newport News, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

Years ago I used to hear the trs when it was licensed in Branscombe's name. They are a major ready mix concrete provider for the peninsula area up to New Kent Co. Comm activity was frequent. One of their operations plant is located on Rt. 5 a few miles west of Williamsburg. These three frequencies are not licensed for anyone in the peninsula area. I am sure Branscombe has relocated to one of the area's trs. Nextel may have bought them out before it ceased IDEN operation.

This listing should be removed from the RR database.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.