Nextel Modifictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
https://nextelnetwork.sprint.com/IL/Chicago/

It appears Nextel will be reducing their sites beginning June 2012. From the way I read this, it appears "in-building" coverage will be compromised more than outside coverage. Since alot of agencies use Nextel as a back up or primary communictions, just wondering how this will affect them. I wouldn't want to be trying to conduct a covet operation with a radio that isn't up to par. The Organized Crime Division of the Chicago Police Dept. (Narcotics, Gang Units, Vice Unit) switched to Nextel a few years ago and use this in conjunction with the Zone radios. Will this mean the system will be utilized again? Maybe a new UHF Trunking system will be brought on-line? Some things to keep our ears peeled to in the upcoming year.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sprint is running a CDMA based PTT system, as opposed to the traditional iDen based Nextel system. They really want users to get off the Nextel system and switch to the new on really bad. So, likely they can switch to the new handsets and be fine. I think the big deal about shutting down the iDen is to force users off of there. Sprint has been loosing money on Nextel for a long time, and they are happy to get rid of it. They seem to be offering some pretty good deals to get users to upgrade.

I was never happy with Nextel performance in my area. I ditched them long ago. They kept trying to push it on us as a "public safety grade" system, but it never was, at least not in these parts. Glad to see it go.

ecps92

Just my opinion as a user who migrated from Nextel PTT to Sprint PTT, they have a lot of work ahead of them on the Sprint PTT. Constantly telling me D/C is not avail, yet a perfect signal. Ugh Give me Loud-Talks :)

Sprint is running a CDMA based PTT system, as opposed to the traditional iDen based Nextel system. They really want users to get off the Nextel system and switch to the new on really bad. So, likely they can switch to the new handsets and be fine. I think the big deal about shutting down the iDen is to force users off of there. Sprint has been loosing money on Nextel for a long time, and they are happy to get rid of it. They seem to be offering some pretty good deals to get users to upgrade.

I was never happy with Nextel performance in my area. I ditched them long ago. They kept trying to push it on us as a "public safety grade" system, but it never was, at least not in these parts. Glad to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.