NEXTEL(New York City)SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

If you get a control channel on any of those frequencies, you can try and pick up radio traffic.

Depending on when NexTel purchased it, they usually start kicking people off after a while and eventually recycle the freqeuncies for their iDEN network, which is also 900Mhz now as well.

There were a few systems here on 900Mhz that have vanished over the past couple years... b/c of purchase by NexTel.

I wonder if they'll interfere with the 900Mhz ham-band soon and therefore require more 'rebanding' of some sort.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
It may be used as a backup, incase of a disaster.

In other words, say during a black-out, or another "homeland disaster", if everyone owning a Nextel is trying to use it, then those working for Nextel can't use their nextels... (get it?).

Nextel employees (field techs, disaster recovery etc) can communicate with each other on two ways, instead of relaying on a network that is running on backup, congested, or just not there!

That’s just my speculation on this one. My company (cellular) has the same thing in place..

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
davidd2957 said:
While searching the RR.com Database, I found NEXTEL(New York City)SYSTEM
@" http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=2481 ".
It is a Motorola Type II Smartnet Analog System with Primary Frequencies
935.27500MhZ
935.28750MhZ
935.30000Mhz
What is this System used By/For ??
Can it be monitored on a Pro-97 or a Pro-96?
Is there anything worth monitoring here ??

David D.
Hello,

Trunked Radio Systems in the 935 to 940 MHz region are for commercial use. If the system is still active you may hear delivery companies, plumbers, taxis, security companies, etc. The Pro-97 and Pro-96 should work fine. Select Type 2 900 MHz as the system type.

I last logged the system in May 2003 on a trip through NYC. It had some activity.

As was mentioned Nextel has bought a number of these systems. The licensee is usually FCI 800 or FCI 900. They operate them as commercial systems separate from their main iDEN network for a few years. They migrate the users over to the main iDEN network, shutdown the system and reuse the frequencies for the main iDEN network.

Sometimes there are interesting things to monitor. Sometimes public safety agencies will have a talkgroup or two on a commercial system for some operations. Some companies contracted for city services like snow plowing or ambulances can be interesting.

73 Eric

usnasa

i have these freq in my scanner and never heard anything on them has anyone heard any thing on the nextel system ???

Status
Not open for further replies.