Nextel SIM card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVPI4Ever

I looked on Nextel.com/SIM and other areas of the site but to no avail. Hopefully someone here can help.

I have an i530 at present. I got an i580 on ebay. Will the SIM card transplant from the i530 ti the i580? The i580 is not on the dropdown menu on Nextel.com/SIM so I cant check. I used to work with a girl who came in with a different Nextel phone every other week by transplanting the SIM card. Thanks for any help.

jim293

I think that that may. Alot of the sim cards are interchangable. If not go to your nearest Nextel dealer and they will down load the phone info onto your new phone.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
General features like interconnect and dispatch should work fine. When you go from say a I205 to a I275, which have different feature-sets there can be small issues. It would require contacting CS and having them update your account to indicate the correct phone.

Nothing should be hurt by trying a swap and seeing what happens.

-Wayne

johnvassel

Typically it works well when you go from a 3 digit model to a 3 digit model. My sim from my 60 worked fine in my 530, but didnt bring over all the phone numbers.
I think at the time when I talked to nextel, they said as long as it's an Ixxx to an Ixxx it shoud be fine.

john

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
CVPI4Ever said:
I looked on Nextel.com/SIM and other areas of the site but to no avail. Hopefully someone here can help.

I have an i530 at present. I got an i580 on ebay. Will the SIM card transplant from the i530 ti the i580? The i580 is not on the dropdown menu on Nextel.com/SIM so I cant check. I used to work with a girl who came in with a different Nextel phone every other week by transplanting the SIM card. Thanks for any help.

Having worked for Nextel both directly and indirectly and having hacked the software/phones beyond belief in the past hopefully I can answer this question correctly :D
the only issue that should show up is MMS (Multi-Media Messaging)...the i530 was not an MMS capable phone...you might have to call in to Care and have them correctly provision you for MMS...you might have to register the MSN from the i580 to be able to receive/send MMS...if customer care gives you a tough time just tell 'em to dummy the MSN out...they will know what that means....
also a couple of other Nextel related sources to bookmark:
http://nextel.howardforums.com
http://www.meogee.com
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
johnvassel said:
Typically it works well when you go from a 3 digit model to a 3 digit model. My sim from my 60 worked fine in my 530, but didnt bring over all the phone numbers.
I think at the time when I talked to nextel, they said as long as it's an Ixxx to an Ixxx it shoud be fine.

john

Not always the case...your situation: You went from one phone platform to another...your i60c was part of the "Condor" platform of phones while the i530 is part of the "Falcon" Platform of phones...some of the features you missed out on by jumping from one platform to another?
1) extra contact space...Condor phones only have 250 contacts while Falcon phones have 500 contact spaces..
2) ability to assign specific ringtones to specific callers
so even though you were going from one "i" phone to another you were jumping from a Condor phone (which uses a 32K simcard) to a Falcon phone (which uses a 64K simcard)...so there are features that are phone/sim card dependent...just depends on if you think the features are worth you stopping by your nearest corporate owned Nextel store to upgrade that 32K simcard to a 64K simcard....hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

CVPI4Ever

KE4ZNR said:
Having worked for Nextel both directly and indirectly and having hacked the software/phones beyond belief in the past hopefully I can answer this question correctly :D
the only issue that should show up is MMS (Multi-Media Messaging)...the i530 was not an MMS capable phone...you might have to call in to Care and have them correctly provision you for MMS...you might have to register the MSN from the i580 to be able to receive/send MMS...if customer care gives you a tough time just tell 'em to dummy the MSN out...they will know what that means....
also a couple of other Nextel related sources to bookmark:
http://nextel.howardforums.com
http://www.meogee.com
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR
Marshall, I dont understand somethings. You got to explain in laymans terms.

What is the Multi-Media Messaging?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
CVPI4Ever said:
Marshall, I dont understand somethings. You got to explain in laymans terms.

What is the Multi-Media Messaging?

Sorry about that Bud...MMS (Multi-Media Messaging) is when you attach an audio/picture file to a text message...say I take a picture of my gorgous radio collection<grin> with my cameraphone then I attach said picture to a text message and send it to my regular gmail email address...that is Multi-media messaging...just attaching a picture/audio file to a text message...hope this helps!

CVPI4Ever

What kind of fees am I looking at if I go to the Nextel/Sprint store to have them transfer the info? FYI, this phone I bought DOES NOT come with a SIM card.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I recently picked up a i580 on ebay (cool phone), to upgrade from my i710. My sim card in my i710 worked in my i580 but it is only a 64mb sim card and nextel recomends a 128mb sim card for the i580, so I purchased a 128mb sim card on ebay for $10.00, called nextel and they walked me through setting it up. I then took both phones to local nextel store and they transfered contact info to i580 and charged me $ 10.00. I dont know if they make a sim card larger than 128mb, but when setting up voice dialing I ran out of memory and was not able to set up all my contacts with voice dialing.

CVPI4Ever

E-Man said:
I recently picked up a i580 on ebay (cool phone), to upgrade from my i710. My sim card in my i710 worked in my i580 but it is only a 64mb sim card and nextel recomends a 128mb sim card for the i580, so I purchased a 128mb sim card on ebay for $10.00, called nextel and they walked me through setting it up. I then took both phones to local nextel store and they transfered contact info to i580 and charged me $ 10.00. I dont know if they make a sim card larger than 128mb, but when setting up voice dialing I ran out of memory and was not able to set up all my contacts with voice dialing.
You mean they didnt try to sucker you into a new plan or anything? Thats what I am afraid of by going in there.

So if I buy the 128mb SIM card, put it in the i580, take it to Nextel, they will transfer contact info for me with no problem? I looked on ebay and they have used i580 SIM cards and I dont want that. The local Nextel store wants $30.00 for the i580 SIM card and will charge me nothing to transfer contact info.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
$30 sounds about right for a new 128K (not 128mb) sim card....believe me I think you will be happier longterm if you go ahead and get the 128K sim card...there should be no contract extension...and you could in theory purchase a data cable and transfer/back up your contacts yourself but most Coporate owned Sprint/Nextel stores have the ability to transfer contacts for free (it takes about 5 mins at the most)...do realize I place emphasis on coporate owned because most independent dealers do NOT have the transfer ability...it is the corporate owned stores that are given the tools needed to transfer contacts....a few "Authorized Represenative" ie: Nextel indirect dealers have the capability but most don't....after getting your contacts trasferred just call into Customer Care and have them do a "Sim swap" from your old sim card # to the new sim card number....sim card #s start with 0008xxxxxxxxx and are usually printed on the sim card itself...
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

CVPI4Ever said:
You mean they didnt try to sucker you into a new plan or anything? Thats what I am afraid of by going in there.

So if I buy the 128mb SIM card, put it in the i580, take it to Nextel, they will transfer contact info for me with no problem? I looked on ebay and they have used i580 SIM cards and I dont want that. The local Nextel store wants $30.00 for the i580 SIM card and will charge me nothing to transfer contact info.

CVPI4Ever

Marshall, thanks alot man! I knew I came to the right place. I will post an update.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
CVPI4Ever said:
Marshall, thanks alot man! I knew I came to the right place.

No problem bud...glad i could help out...remember to check out the sites I posted earlier in this thread if you ever want to think about customizing your phone...believe it or not there are ways to load your own ringtones/wallpapers for free as well as making other customizations....just read the forums for the knowhow...good luck!
Marshall KE4ZNR

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
KE4ZNR said:
most Coporate owned Sprint/Nextel stores have the ability to transfer contacts for free (it takes about 5 mins at the most)
From what I was told they no longer do it for free. This was instituted a month ago system-wide.

YMMV. Even for employees we don't get it for free either. $15 for us now.

-Wayne

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
wayne_h said:
From what I was told they no longer do it for free. This was instituted a month ago system-wide.

YMMV. Even for employees we don't get it for free either. $15 for us now.

-Wayne

Another sign of Sprint ruining the Iden side of things...If that is true that is just bad business...it does not take more than maybe 3-5 minutes total to transfer a phonebook....really sad Sprint is nickel & diming the customers :(

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
CVPI4Ever said:
I was only told I would be charged for the SIM card. Transfer will be free.

That is the way Nextel did things when I worked for them....Maybe the corporate stores are rebelling against the Sprint policies under their radar? :D
CVPI4Ever- go to the store that told ya that...that shows old school Nextel mentality which means good Nextel service :cool:

CVPI4Ever

KE4ZNR said:
That is the way Nextel did things when I worked for them....Maybe the corporate stores are rebelling against the Sprint policies under their radar? :D
CVPI4Ever- go to the store that told ya that...that shows old school Nextel mentality which means good Nextel service :cool:
What they say and what they do are 2 different things. I am expecting them to forget totally about this.

CVPI4Ever

Well, I picked up my phone and I am impresed. It even INCLUDED the SIM card. Took it to the Nextel Store and he transferred the data for free. This concludes the ebay transaction. All went well! Thanks for all your help folks!

KE4ZNR, you have a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.