• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Nextel Version of A Race Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
The Associated Press
Sprint Nextel has finished fine-tuning its FanView, and will begin selling the gadgets at California Speedway in September.
FanView is part radio, part scanner, part television and part statistic service. A limited number of hand-held devices have been available to rent at each race this season, but the public has clamored for more.
Starting in September, fans can purchase them at race tracks or online, starting at $369.95. Each device will need to be activated every time it is used for an additional $10 fee.
The FanView has in-car audio for the entire field, in-car cameras for select drivers, the capability to replay the last three minutes of team communications, up-to-the minute points standings and statistics on which drivers have gained or lost the most positions.
Dean Kessel, director of Nextel's marketing, said the company won't stop improving the product after its rollout.
"It's still evolving," he said. "We've had feedback on things from fans – like the fuel window, fans often want to know what the window for that particular track is and when a driver needs to pit. Nothing is concrete, but we are listening to feedback and looking at ways to continue to improve."

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/sports/motorsports/15138158.htm

mancow

Database Admin
Interesting...

Personally, I would rather be beat with a stick that sit and keep track of all that. But hey...

I wonder how it works. Surely they aren't pushing all that through one signal digitally are they?

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
$370! for the device *and then* $10/race/event!!! {YEEEEESH!} Granted you get video with it but I'd think that buying an inexpensive LCD TV or even an ICOM IC-R3 along with using whatever other handheld one might already have would work out cheaper over the long run if one wanted to basically try and watch what is pretty much glorified TV anyway. Frankly I'd rather just listen to my scanner and watch the race with a good pair of binnoculars instead. After one has listened to a few races gathering all the supposed `special' info from what one finds with a scanner is amazingly easy. On top of that it doesn't matter *which* track or race one attends whether it is a `national' *or* `local' race and I suspect that they are going to be offering info on selected `national' races only leaving those who like to attend `local' affairs out in the cold. (Besides... It's "NextHell"!)

Just a `grouchy "Olde Fart's"' 2¢ worth. {SNORT!}

jim293

Well I will be at that race and I will have to check it out. I would not be interested in anything like that If I go to the race I want to watch the race and not the small screen that those things have. I really think it would be hard to see that screen in the light of the day. They probably would work great at the night races.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
Thats MUCH cheaper then I thought it would be. I think the $10 fee is BS but its not too bad for only a few races a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.