NEXTEL WT Freqs.???

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalogoat

I'm sure others have asked this question but I was wondering what freqs. NEXTEL uses for their 2-way walkie talkie feature. Is it in the cell phone band or UHF-VHF?

n1das

buffalogoat said:
I'm sure others have asked this question but I was wondering what freqs. NEXTEL uses for their 2-way walkie talkie feature. Is it in the cell phone band or UHF-VHF?

NEXTEL's 2-way DirectConnect feature works through the NEXTEL network with the tower sites transmitting in the 851-866 range and with the phones transmitting 45MHz below that. It's the same network NEXTEL phones use for making and receiving phone calls like a cell phone.

NEXTEL's off-network DirectTalk feature (on DT capable NEXTEL phones) works simplex between phones in range in the 902-928MHz band and is Frequency-Hopping Digital Spread-Spectrum (don't bother trying to hear it on a scanner). The DT feature uses the whole 902-928 band (I've looked at it on a spectrum analyzer). The DT feature is operating under Part 15 rules in the 902-928 band. I've found from experience that the usable DT range is about the same as local Family Radio Service (FRS) coverage between a pair of FRS handhelds.

Last edited:

fineshot1

n1das said:
NEXTEL's 2-way DirectConnect feature works through the NEXTEL network with the tower sites transmitting in the 851-866 range and with the phones transmitting 45MHz below that. It's the same network NEXTEL phones use for making and receiving phone calls like a cell phone.

NEXTEL's off-network DirectTalk feature (on DT capable NEXTEL phones) works simplex between phones in range in the 902-928MHz band and is Frequency-Hopping Digital Spread-Spectrum (don't bother trying to hear it on a scanner). The DT feature uses the whole 902-928 band (I've looked at it on a spectrum analyzer). The DT feature is operating under Part 15 rules in the 902-928 band. I've found from experience that the usable DT range is about the same as local Family Radio Service (FRS) coverage between a pair of FRS handhelds.

I beleive in that segment of the band the towers xmit range starts at 854.75 and not 851 but not even sure if thats true anymore due to the rebanding issue....

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well...maybe not own; perhaps they only rent the commissioners when they need a favorable ruling...:twisted:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
buffalogoat said:
Search is your friend.

We need a Wiki for Nextel and/or iDEN I suppose.

-Wayne

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
n1das said:
NEXTEL's off-network DirectTalk feature (on DT capable NEXTEL phones) works simplex between phones in range in the 902-928MHz band and is Frequency-Hopping Digital Spread-Spectrum (don't bother trying to hear it on a scanner).
How many times per second does the frequency change ? Out of all the NEXTEL phones that exist in the world, how do only 2+ phones "know" when to switch to what frequency?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
JohnnyGalaga said:
How many times per second does the frequency change ? Out of all the NEXTEL phones that exist in the world, how do only 2+ phones "know" when to switch to what frequency?
It is time for some reading. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.