• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nextel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this has already been discussed, I havent been able to find anything- Im posting in the Motorola Forum because this is Motorola equipment- but does anyone know if it is possible to create a "talkgroup" in that sence, for Nextel Cell Phones- So if one person tx'd, then the whole group would hear that persons transmission??,

Again no offense if this is the wrong place to post...

bezking

I know that Nextel offers a feature actually called "Talkgroup" for just that. You can also investigate Group Call and I am pretty sure there is one more similar feature.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I know that Nextel offers a feature actually called "Talkgroup" for just that. You can also investigate Group Call and I am pretty sure there is one more similar feature.

Thats awesome! Thankyou!

N

N_Jay

They very definitely have a Group Call function.

It was a mainstay of early Nextel users, but has been downplayed because it is a resource hog on the system.
I don't know how they charge for it these days.

bezking

They very definitely have a Group Call function.

It was a mainstay of early Nextel users, but has been downplayed because it is a resource hog on the system.
I don't know how they charge for it these days.

It's included as far as I can tell... The "Talkgroup" function must be a killer then - 200 users per TG. But I think that it requires a business account.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Group Call

I have been using Nextel phones since 1995. You can have up to 20 people at one time in a group call. Everyone in that call hears whatever is being said. All you do is use your contact list to select who you want in the group call and initiate the call. It just like one big walkie talkie so to speak. Everyone takes there turn talking. Or lets say who can key up the fastest get to do the talking! The only catch is that your phone must support group talk. If it doesn't you can't play with the technology...

N

N_Jay

It's included as far as I can tell... The "Talkgroup" function must be a killer then - 200 users per TG. But I think that it requires a business account.

I think it may be included, but I think they charge you per person, so you minuets will go really fast if the group is very big.

There also used to be an issue with members not getting group calls if the group spanned too many sites due to call setup time limitations. I am not sure if that problem still exists.

Talkgroup and Groupcall should be the same thing.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
There are a two different versions. One you can setup on the phone and one that S/N sets up and then OTAPs in to the phones. One is for short lists and the other for long lists.

N

N_Jay

The one set up in the phone must be newer. The original system did not have that.
Groups were enabled in the switch (DAP) (Dispatch Application Processor), and programed into the handset.

We used to see sites drop out at around 30 sites/units per call. So 20 would have been a safe number even way back then.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Group Call

I drive a truck and there are about 10 of us using Sprint / Nextel. We have no problem using group call from all over the county as long as you have Nextel service. Which that could be another thread about service. Anyway all of the newer phone for at least 5 years or so ago all had group connect built right into the phone. Like I said in my last post you could just make it happen yourself from your contact list. Heck even by blackberry curve has group connect, group talk or group call, whatever you wish to call it. I also had a boost mobile phone for the wife and it has it also built right into the phone. Gets pretty interesting with 10 drivers running down the road talking crap to each other. Makes to time go by pretty quick. Kind of like a long distance CB radio. only not!!!
There is no extra charge for using it since it is just direct connect. Most if not all plans now have unlimited direct connect with them. However back a few years ago if you started the call you got hit for every minute used by every one in the call. Now that could add up quick. Take a look at Nextels plans and you will see what I mean. Right now the wife and I share a plan with 1500 cell minutes along with unlimited direct connect minutes all for about 100.00 bucks a month. Use the **** out of direct connect with well over 7500 minutes a month and only use arounf 200 cell phone minutes just to call dispatchers. All and all I love my Nextel however you need to know a few other people using direct connect to really enjoy it. That is the only way to use the bleep.... you must know others with direct connect or you will not have any use for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.