RCS NextGen testing thread

SDBud

The SDS-200 will improve performance, but not reception. Only an antenna will do that. I had to switch to a Yagi to clean up reception on an SDS-200 and a BCD536HP. Neither did very well with the discone.

AND, of course, the higher the antenna, AND the better the coax, the more likely it will work for you. LMR 200, or even 400, if you can handle it.

wstcstas26

Premium Subscriber
The SDS-200 will improve performance, but not reception. Only an antenna will do that. I had to switch to a Yagi to clean up reception on an SDS-200 and a BCD536HP. Neither did very well with the discone.
Thank you for your recommendations!

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Hello all,

It would be helpful if members could help submit NAC info for the various sites. Most sites do not have this info in the Db.

Additionally, appreciate any new frequencies noted on the system as its built out.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The RRdb imports NAC's for each NextGen site into uniden Sentinel...are those correct? My SDS is set for ignore site NAC, so I cannot be sure.

Paul

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
At the moment only the South and West cells have NACs listed in the Db. The other 15 NextGen sites do not have ones.

Knowing NAC can often be enough to help identify to which site a new noted frequency belongs if one cannot run trunktracker on the control channel to determine full line up, so its a good thing to have in the Db.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Are these like P25 conventional NAC's, or like a NAC "tone squelch" type of thing specific to frequencies broadcast from a specific site?

Paul

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
The NAC is the same as P25 conventional. The Control Channel will transmit a NAC, and all frequencies assigned to that cell will have same NAC.

dpsphotos

New to the digital scanning world. Got a used Uniden 436HP over the holidays. Could use help finding Oceanside FD. I have the San Diego RCS NextGen system as a Favorite. Within that favorite I have the Oceanside Dept, North and West Simulcast, and Fire North Zone (Northcom Disp). I am getting OPD, but not sure about OFD. Is that part of Fire North Zone? Is there anyway within that department to determine which cities use certain command or tactical ID's? Thanks!

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It would be Northcomm...typically Oceanide operates medical junk on 3C and other junk on 3E, with 3G for an extra command if there are a couple of 2 alarms working or such. Unless you live north of the hills by the 76, you would be fine wiht just the West site, although I have seen where a couple of units like on Cars that are the only units affiliated, might just be heard oj North if no West affiliated cops happen to be on Cars. Also, make sure you turn on all the service types turned on in the main menu of the scanner, not just Law and Fire Dispatch.

Paul

dpsphotos

It would be Northcomm...typically Oceanide operates medical junk on 3C and other junk on 3E, with 3G for an extra command if there are a couple of 2 alarms working or such. Unless you live north of the hills by the 76, you would be fine wiht just the West site, although I have seen where a couple of units like on Cars that are the only units affiliated, might just be heard oj North if no West affiliated cops happen to be on Cars. Also, make sure you turn on all the service types turned on in the main menu of the scanner, not just Law and Fire Dispatch.

Paul

Extremely helpful, thanks a ton!

mike619

One thing I do is plug in the input frequencies in convenional mode so I can know if there is a police unit or fire incident close by me and then switch over to the appropriate channels on the trunked system.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
One thing I do is plug in the input frequencies in convenional mode so I can know if there is a police unit or fire incident close by me and then switch over to the appropriate channels on the trunked system.

Wow, I've done that for DECADES...started doing it in the early 90's on a PRO2006 when SD City went 800 and there were no trunktracking scanners! I program the input, then the output on the next channel but on L/O, so if I hear something I want to hear a response to, I hit hold and go up one channel to hear the repeated side.

Paul