RCS NextGen testing thread

shadow925

Having a tough time figuring out the talkgroup IDs for the NextGen system. The process of old talkgroup divided by 16 that works on the City 700Mhz system doesn't seem to work here. Is there a logical approach to converting the IDs?

I did see Paul's earlier suggestion that the talkgroup HEX numbers did not change but the decimal numbers did change, but I don't think that can be correct since the decimal/hex is a mathematical conversion.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions.

W6KRU

Having a tough time figuring out the talkgroup IDs for the NextGen system. The process of old talkgroup divided by 16 that works on the City 700Mhz system doesn't seem to work here. Is there a logical approach to converting the IDs?

I did see Paul's earlier suggestion that the talkgroup HEX numbers did not change but the decimal numbers did change, but I don't think that can be correct since the decimal/hex is a mathematical conversion.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions.

Old TG divided by 16 is working for me so far. I used it for the radio techs and Vista school district. I just heard 1121 which multiplied by 16 = 17936 which is the old Poway PSD Trans 2.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I added the 436 to the testing this morning. I think my problem is simulcast. I'm now trying to find a filter that alleviates the problem with some success. The WS1080 seems to have the least problems with simulcast but it is location dependent.

Agreed. My TRX-2 is handling the system without difficulty. For all the talk of the SDS100/200 being great on simulcast, my experience has been the exact opposite.

W6KRU

Agreed. My TRX-2 is handling the system without difficulty. For all the talk of the SDS100/200 being great on simulcast, my experience has been the exact opposite.

Try putting on a poor antenna. I had an RSSI of -60 and put on a Condor that reduced the signal to -85 and the SDS came to life. Attenuator might be equally good. I'm trying that now.

shadow925

I have a talkgroup wildcard set on the NextGen system and I'm hearing SDPD communications. Is SDPD rebroadcast on the county system or is my programming confused?

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I have a talkgroup wildcard set on the NextGen system and I'm hearing SDPD communications. Is SDPD rebroadcast on the county system or is my programming confused?

Sounds like something is wrong with your programming. My wildcard is not picking up any SDPD comms.

shadow925

Yes I'm using G4 on both the city and county systems. My programming was messed up in tab D5 where I missed the P25 trunking pull-down menu and it was set to the city system. Changed it and and am now hearing the county system but only talkgroups 2286 and 2287 so far so assuming the system loading is very limited at this point.

Reception on the 2 talkgroups I've heard on the county system are very good in limited testing. I've monitored the city system a lot more and can report that the performance is far better than my 436HP. Almost no garbled transmissions, even while driving around, and when there are the intended recipient asks for a repeat. Battery life is also good and the small size is incredible. Bluetooth is a nice addition but I've not been able to get it to work with my vehicle's bluetooth. I have no reservations about buying this radio.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Yes I'm using G4 on both the city and county systems. My programming was messed up in tab D5 where I missed the P25 trunking pull-down menu and it was set to the city system. Changed it and and am now hearing the county system but only talkgroups 2286 and 2287 so far so assuming the system loading is very limited at this point.

Reception on the 2 talkgroups I've heard on the county system are very good in limited testing. I've monitored the city system a lot more and can report that the performance is far better than my 436HP. Almost no garbled transmissions, even while driving around, and when there are the intended recipient asks for a repeat. Battery life is also good and the small size is incredible. Bluetooth is a nice addition but I've not been able to get it to work with my vehicle's bluetooth. I have no reservations about buying this radio.

Thanks for the info! I think I'm sold... : )

shadow925

Just now experiencing my first problem. At the ice rink for my kid's hockey game listening through bluetooth and the radio completely locked up. The display stays on even after turning off power and I don't have a screwdriver to pull the battery. Ugh!

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Just now experiencing my first problem. At the ice rink for my kid's hockey game listening through bluetooth and the radio completely locked up. The display stays on even after turning off power and I don't have a screwdriver to pull the battery. Ugh!

From reading some of the threads in the Unication forum, it seems Bluetooth doesn't yet play well, so I'm not surprised. : (

shadow925

Removed and reinserted the battery when I got home. The radio rebooted twice and seems OK now. I'll let you know if I experience any other problems. Too bad the battery cover is held on by screws or I could have done the restart hours ago.

ed3750

Premium Subscriber
FYI, you can also reset the Unication by simultaneously pressing and holding the two side buttons and the replay button on top of channel knob. Hold those three down for a few seconds and the unit will reset.