RCS NextGen testing thread

cmaness2001

Premium Subscriber
My G5 is programmed for site trunking, and I entered the site ID of 2D for site 45, and it sticks there even if it goes "out of range" and bonks and blinks red until it gets signal back on site 44 RFSS/Site 1/2D. I found a tiny spot on my window sill where site 45 will come in with indicated -120 rssi, but goes and comes into and out of range. On that window sill the antenna can litterally see the site 41 tower on Cowles, but never tries to switch to it. i only have 852.575 as a CC.

Paul
Wow, totally different behavior than my G4. I will experiment more in the AM.
Thank you gentlemen for your input.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the 2D site setting value in there. I would think with that and site trunking, it would reject site 41 (29 hex) as not having a matching site ID (hex)

Paul

Paul

SDBud

IS there any traffic on the NextGen south? Asking for a friend who isn't hearing anything, looked at his codeplug, and it looks OK..

cmaness2001

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the 2D site setting value in there. I would think with that and site trunking, it would reject site 41 (29 hex) as not having a matching site ID (hex)

Paul

Paul
Thanks Paul that was indeed the issue, I had FF in there. Out of curiosity I tried unchecking "Site Trunking" it holds on site 45 but constantly goes out of range.

ssmith39

Premium Subscriber
Here in Fallbrook site 1-42 is very weak on Unitrunker (Health~1-5). Is that to be expected?

Attachments

• RCS_Site_001-042.jpg
    RCS_Site_001-042.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 16

Mike_G_D

Well,unfortunately for me, I lack any Phase 2 capability BUT I am able to pick up the North, 42, site quite well and can hear pretty clearly a lot of Phase 1 voice. In fact, to me, often sounding better than the equivalent on the RCS! I have two identical model scanners, one monitoring the RCS and the other listening to the NextGen system. Frequently, I hear the audio from the same units on both (which, fortunately for me, I assume they will do for a little while until everybody is switched over to the new system and the reliability of same in the desired areas is proven) and the NextGen system does seem to sound better.

The West, 45, also comes in at my location albeit very weakly. In terms of reliability, the north site of the new NextGen system works best for me.

I have no luck at all for any of the other sites.

Antenna is an old government surplus broadband prototype surveillance antenna that looks like a trashcan attached to a LNA and then to a 8 way splitter feeding multiple radios. All inside my apartment.

For portable/mobile use...well that seems to be a problem with my extremely limited equipment. My old PSR-500 handheld, my oldest working P25 scanner, has trouble decoding voice with the exact same programming as what is driving the 197's. It (the 500 handheld) just has the RS 800MHz 1/2 wave antenna. I've tried the attenuator and no antenna to no avail. Same problem at work which is about 15 minutes southeast of my home. Sounds like it's having severe simulcast distortion issues that do not seem to plague my base scanners near as much. They should be nearly identical except for the antenna as they are RS Pro197's which are functionally equivalent to the GRE PSR-600's. I have yet to try hooking up the 500 to the base antenna system to see if it works better.

At home, the North site gets between S3 and S5 on my old Icom R-7000 receiver and reads as full scale on the scanners. West gets nary a nudge on the S meter on the 7000 though I can hear it and reads between 2 and a fluctuating 3 bars on the 197.

Home is a couple blocks north of Foothill Drive and close to East Vista Way in Vista. Work is between Bluebird Canyon Road and Tamara Lane also in Vista. I can hear the West site better at work but the North still seems best, at least in terms of signal level. I can decode CC data good enough to get some decent Pro96Com traffic readings at work but cannot decode voice virtually at all with an occasional syllable coming through now and then.

-Mike

ProLaw1

Sorry for all the newbie ? But what’s best to use on a 325p2 regarding control channel settings when programming a system, As far as single control channel option or standard option,For the RCS NexGen system,Thanks again folks for all the help and info

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I don't think it's too hard to simply create a normal P25 standard system and type in 4 control channels.

Paul

cmaness2001

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for all the newbie ? But what’s best to use on a 325p2 regarding control channel settings when programming a system, As far as single control channel option or standard option,For the RCS NexGen system,Thanks again folks for all the help and info
Choose "P25 Standard Trunk"

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
IS there any traffic on the NextGen south? Asking for a friend who isn't hearing anything, looked at his codeplug, and it looks OK..

Bud, this next week will complete the North agencies. The South agencies will start September 30th.

Don

ProLaw1

I notice that Poway FD is on the schedule for the migration on 9/20/2019, Are they switching to the NG system,Thanks again

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Don mentioned when I asked, that Poway will continue to operate on Metro. I would assume that the NextGen programming would be for their RCS talkgroups so they can talk to and monitor Poway Sheriff's, and eventually operate on Calfire's NextGen channels.

Paul

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Sheriff San Marcos and Escondido PD disappeared from NextGen today (actually last night). Hope they’re back soon!