NFLD frequency suggestions (with apology)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaBob

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

First off...(what you have been waiting for)...my apologies. I sincerely apologize if this informational request I am about to post has been posted previously. I am admittedly short on time to complete a thorough search and quite possibly a tad lazy). There. My name is Bob and I have been lazy for a number of years now.
"Hello Bob"

I will be driving from Ottawa Ontario to St. John's NFLD via the Quebec route to Sydney/Port aux Basques...to St. John's to attend a wedding in early August. I am looking for some sort of diversion and will be bringing my BCD325P2 scanner with me...mainly along the TCH in NFLD..

I am planning to d/l some data from the RR databases and I noted that there is a NFLD Province Wide. system with multiple sites but no talk groups listed. Is it worth d/ling this? Are there any other NFLD frequencies/databases which I should load up? I'm mainly interested in Emergency Service agencies.

Finally, are there any agencies in NFLD using encryption (not Provoice...which we know isn't encryption).

Thank you for any assistance which you may be able to offer. Feel free to DM me if so inclined!

mciupa

I'll be driving from Toronto, on to Moncton and later, Halifax between Aug.2 - Aug.13, so I'll be watching this thread for some suggestions for your Que, NB, NS part as well. :)

ve1sef

Hello.

First off...(what you have been waiting for)...my apologies. I sincerely apologize if this informational request I am about to post has been posted previously. I am admittedly short on time to complete a thorough search and quite possibly a tad lazy). There. My name is Bob and I have been lazy for a number of years now.
"Hello Bob"

I will be driving from Ottawa Ontario to St. John's NFLD via the Quebec route to Sydney/Port aux Basques...to St. John's to attend a wedding in early August. I am looking for some sort of diversion and will be bringing my BCD325P2 scanner with me...mainly along the TCH in NFLD..

I am planning to d/l some data from the RR databases and I noted that there is a NFLD Province Wide. system with multiple sites but no talk groups listed. Is it worth d/ling this? Are there any other NFLD frequencies/databases which I should load up? I'm mainly interested in Emergency Service agencies.

Finally, are there any agencies in NFLD using encryption (not Provoice...which we know isn't encryption).

Thank you for any assistance which you may be able to offer. Feel free to DM me if so inclined!

If your referring to the GNL (LTR) System, tried monitoring it on one of my trips, never heard anything.
The other 2 provincial trunk systems were active last I was in Newfoundland(2012).

Last edited:

colinpeddle

You'll hear stuff on the GNL frequencies but you're better off just using Close Call for them, they'll ping right away. Jay will hopefully post here now the once and chime in, he's driven across this island a few times, scanning all the way, where I've only done moderate exploration and even then, it was during other trips with a different focus, like salmon fishing or racing to the ferry without time to stop and suss out a hit.

Anyway, our RCMP p25 are completely Encrypted now or at least changed in some way that prevents you from hearing them at all. Once you get on the Avalon you'll be able to hear the Avalon region RCMP on the EDACS system, but not the RNC... unless you're in Corner Brook where they're still in the clear on conventional frequencies.

Like I said, the GNL frequencies do have activity but it's sparse. Also a lot of the frequencies are probably expired, I was getting hits on the LTR system this week up around Flowers Cove that are not listed.

CB Radio is rarely used here, except for up the Great Northern Peninsular and even then, it's sparingly and mostly winter months to confirm pass-ability of the roads, I believe.

For most of your trip, aside from Close Call hits, you're likely to hear silence.

mciupa

There is as much happening on the scanner as there is activity in this thread.

On to Halifax tomorrow.

colinpeddle

I am not sure what you'd expect hehe

The highway aside from around Corner Brook/Gander and the Avalon is basically cutting through vast areas of zero population. Not like our moose are using radios! haha

OttawaBob

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure what you'd expect hehe

The highway aside from around Corner Brook/Gander and the Avalon is basically cutting through vast areas of zero population. Not like our moose are using radios! haha

Weird. I saw a lot of “channels” but no radios during my drive through.

Status
Not open for further replies.