NHP Elko County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior1970

Has the Elko County NHP units abandoned the old VHF frequencies? Or do I have to add the NSRS sites to my radio. The Wells Fun Run is this weekend and wanted to know before I go. I'm, of course , coming from the east (Utah) so, being not totally sure of the geography, what sites on I-80 will be of best interest? My guesses are: Wendover Hill, Ellen Dee, Rocky Point. Any others I may have left out please refresh my memory. Thanks.

scruffy

VHF for NHP is pretty much dead other than some scattered car to car traffic.

Add Peavey to you list of sites (right above Wells).

There are some other sites in the area but after submitting them multiple times and never seeing the database update I've given up trying anymore.:mad:

SD

Junior1970

VHF for NHP is pretty much dead other than some scattered car to car traffic.

Add Peavey to you list of sites (right above Wells).

There are some other sites in the area but after submitting them multiple times and never seeing the database update I've given up trying anymore.:mad:

SD

PM me your list of freqs with LCN if you don't mind or I can give you my e-mail if you have them in an Excel or pdf file. I'd appreciate it. Especially the Peavey site info. Thanks.

scruffy

Peavey is in the database, the name is spelled wrong.

The other site (Spruce) is south of Wells a bit.

Maybe the admin will pick up on this one for the database :twisted:

SD

Junior1970

I didn't see a site listed for Rocky Point or Ellen Dee. I believe the site above Wells you mention is listed as "Peeve" in the DB? Right?

SCPD

QRT
Maybe someone on this thread can answer a question about the NHP talkgroups on the NSRS. I writing a V File for northern Nevada. I've looked up the coverage areas of the Southern, Northern, and Central Commands. The Central Command has the largest share of the state and I assume the dispatch center for this command is in Elko. Does this mean I should use the Elko talkgroups when writing a file that covers most of Nye County and all of Esmeralda County? I see that the Southern Command covers the Armagosa Valley and Pahrump, so I would use the Las Vegas talkgroups for there and that doesn't confuse me.

I also see that the Northern Command covers about half of Pershing County so I would assume I would use the Reno talkgroups for that area. What has me confused is the very large area the "Central" Command covers and if the Elko talkgroups cover the entire command area.

By the way, the State of Nevada used to have a far better map of the areas covered by each command, if that is what they called them in the past. The current map is difficult to read because it is so small, but enlarging it results in a lot of blurry lines and letters. Does anyone know of a source for a better map showing the areas of each command? I don't remember the division or command HQ'ed in Elko covering such a large area before.

TOUGHLIFE

For the Central Command of DPS including its NHP division, I would include the four basic talkgroups for Elko dispatch which are 05-101 Elko 1, 05-102 Elko 2, 05-103 Elko 3, and 05-104 Elko 4. The three tac talkgroups that they use in this area are 05-105 Elko Tac 1, 05-106 Elko Tac 2, and 05-107 Elko Tac 3.
Programming in the Las Vegas 3 (05-124) for the rural areas that come near the Central Command boundary would be a good idea also. Reno has six basic channels along with three tac channels on the TRS and they are 05-141 Reno 1 Primary, 05-142 Reno 2 Secondary, 05-143 Reno 3, 05-144 Reno 4,
05-150 Reno 5 and 05-151 Reno 6. Their three tac channels are 05-145 Tac 1, 05-146 Tac 2, and 05-05-147 Tac 3.

When I am in any rural area where the NSRS is active I usually have a scanner running in open or search mode for this system. Thus, I will not miss much especially if a transmission is heard only on a patch ID and not on the normal talkgroup ID such as those listed above. I have experienced this situation many times.

TOUGHLIFE

NHP Boundary Info.

Back in the 80s' the NHP had just two regions, the northern and southern. The southern was comprised of Clark, Lincoln, Esmeralda, and almost all of Nye county except for the extreme NW portion of it. The rest of the state was in the northern region.

In the 90s' the NHP had four dispatch centers, Carson, Reno, Las Vegas, and Elko. Later the Carson center was closed to save money. When a personnel shortage of dispatchers was present in Las Vegas, Carson or Reno would dispatch some of the Las Vegas operations. Later Elko also did this for Las Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.