NHSP Air question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1okq

Hi, First post. Thanks for having me aboard.
I have been listening to NHSP aircraft catching speeders for decades, even back when they were on low band. It is my favorite entertainment.
I listen every day. Here is my question: I have noticed that when the SP airplane is over RTE 89 or on 93 north of Concord they disappear to some other freq. About a month ago when they were over Hooksett running traffic over the 93 toll / liquor stores they got an interference complaint during a VHF band opening and changed channels and disappeared. I can actually see the plane from my house when they are over Hooksett. I am scanning the entire NHSP database from RR in a BCD536HP. When they are over RTE 101 or 95 or southern RTE 93 I hear them on the regular channel listed on Radio ref. I have spent a great deal of time looking for them on the air. Anybody know that freq / nac they use when they are on 89 / or northern RTE 93?. My listening post is well setup, if they were on the air, I would hear them, this one has me stumped. Any hints greatly appreciated.

n1das

Hi Pete,

Dave N1DAS here. A blast from the past LOL.

I was listening to them too back when they were on low band on 45.18MHz. I haven't listened to them for a while. When I last heard them, I was on I-89 in the New London area and they were on NHSP Talk 159.315 w/P25. So you say they disappeared from 159.315MHz?

I wonder if they moved to one of the F&G channels.

ecps92

Memories of 45.18 ! Even when Mass SP borrowed them for Ops, they stayed on 45.1800

I would guess F&G as well, or just go into Search [150-162] and lock out the known users as the scan list dwindles down.
Hi Pete,

Dave N1DAS here. A blast from the past LOL.

I was listening to them too back when they were on low band on 45.18MHz. I haven't listened to them for a while. When I last heard them, I was on I-89 in the New London area and they were on NHSP Talk 159.315 w/P25. So you say they disappeared from 159.315MHz?

I wonder if they moved to one of the F&G channels.

ka1okq

Hi Dave, Wow... Great to hear from you. I remember listening on 44.94 and hearing California Highway patrol on band openings.
SP Air did not disappeared from 159.315 they are also using an alternate Chanel when they are over RTE 89 ( new London)or on 93 North of Concord ( tilton and north). I am at whits end as to where they move to. Ill try the search. I was hoping someone else may have also noted this.

n1das

Hi Dave, Wow... Great to hear from you. I remember listening on 44.94 and hearing California Highway patrol on band openings.
SP Air did not disappeared from 159.315 they are also using an alternate Chanel when they are over RTE 89 ( new London)or on 93 North of Concord ( tilton and north). I am at whits end as to where they move to. Ill try the search. I was hoping someone else may have also noted this.

159.465 comes to mind as one of the F&G channels. Just recalling from memory, I don't have a list in front of me at the moment.

I think it's safe to assume they're on VHF-Hi like the rest of NHSP so start by searching the public safety allocations in the VHF band. Also check the NIFOG VHF interop channels (VTACs). OTOH, it also might be worth checking NHSP's VHF-Lo channels. They might be on 45.18 like in the old days. I don't recall if NHSP is still licensed on their VHF-Lo channels or not. I remember the old days of KCA999, LOL.

mainetrunk

I'd try 159.345... I hear fish and game on it once in a blue moon in the Portsmouth area... Or the infamous 155.475.... If they're ever over you, hit a signal stalker...

n1das

I'd try 159.345... I hear fish and game on it once in a blue moon in the Portsmouth area... Or the infamous 155.475.... If they're ever over you, hit a signal stalker...

I forgot about 159.345. Worth checking.

Also check VLAW32 155.4825 w/PL156.7. This is what the detail officers from multiple PDs use at the annual Atlas Fireworks Festival in Jaffrey NH. The festival didn't happen this year in August due to all of the COVID-19 and social distancing stuff.

NEK1213

159.315 used on Thursday morning detail on I-93 NB in Canterbury/Northfield. SP 83 was the ground unit and was very busy.

ka1okq

I am starting to think that they are just running very low power. I did hear them talk of an interference complaint during a VHF lift one morning. Maybe they started running handheld in the plane. I heard bits and pieces of transmissions on Friday when they were over RTE 16 Spaulding TPK north of Dover on 159.315. Other times I hear them full scale when they are on 95 over Hampton or Greenland.

jmfirefighter

The issue is that the normal frequency they use, SP TALK, is the input to the Troop E radio channel on Belknap. When in the air over 93 they are hitting the Belknap Mountain site with a -70 to -80, wiping out Troop E communications. They are now using different frequencies to avoid interference with Troop E.

They are utilizing 5 watts out of their Technisonic radio (which is an XTS5000 inquiry custom chassis)

ka1okq

That is great info. Like I wrote earlier, I did hear them get an interference complaint, That must have been the issue. Any ideas on what that " other freq" they use might be?

jmfirefighter

That is great info. Like I wrote earlier, I did hear them get an interference complaint, That must have been the issue. Any ideas on what that " other freq" they use might be?

It's a fully encrypted mobile only channel licensed to the state. I don't have the frequency at hand, but all you'd hear anyways is scrambled traffic.

n1das

It's a fully encrypted mobile only channel licensed to the state. I don't have the frequency at hand, but all you'd hear anyways is scrambled traffic.

If it is licensed to the state, the freq should show up on FCC license(s). Time to dig around in FCC ULS database.

Status
Not open for further replies.