NHSP Consolidating Communications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

The good old days of Low Band. :)

Yes indeed. I recall searching around on VHF-Lo band on my Electra Bearcat 210 scanner and listening low band skip from all over the country. This was during the 1979 sunspot maximum. I recall finding a 37MHz repeater (I forget the exact freq) and located somewhere out west (don't know where). It went away when band conditions faded away in the late afternoon / early evening. The input was on 45.26 and on CSQ. I was listening to local NHSP Troop F traffic through the repeater that afternoon and also heard traffic on 45.26 through the repeater from other areas of the country. I instantly recognized the Troop F female dispatcher's voice and the familiar behavior of the transmitter on Moose Mtn. Fun times. :)

Last edited:

NEK1213

We had an encoder unit in the NHSP cruisers back in the 70's. I could go to channel 2 (SP car to car) and select an encode channel and access the Grafton repeater to communicate with another SP unit.

n1das

We had an encoder unit in the NHSP cruisers back in the 70's. I could go to channel 2 (SP car to car) and select an encode channel and access the Grafton repeater to communicate with another SP unit.

I remember that too. Monitor the local PDs and the county on a Regency scanner w/crystals and talk on SP car to car (44.82) with the desired CTCSS tone. The Grafton County SO repeater on Moose Mtn in Hanover had a 44.82 receiver on it. The audio from it sounded a little muddy compared to the normal county repeat audio. Low band mobiles talking into it didn't have a reverse burst at the end of a transmission so they always left a long squelch tail on the repeater. Motorola still had their patent on their PL reverse burst back then and non-Motorola radios didn't transmit a reverse burst for squelch tail elimination. Occasionally I would hear SP447 calling SP521 on County (Hillsborough) through the Grafton repeater. Those units supposedly were in the Peterborough area and were weak and scratchy into the Grafton 154.77 repeater on Moose.

I frequently heard Lebanon talking to SP617 or SP619 on their local (155.25) and heard the SP unit reply back on the Grafton "B" repeater on Moose. Most often it was SP617 under the current SP unit numbers which were new back then, formerly SP370 under the previous unit numbering.

With where I was located in Hanover, I had no trouble hearing the county "B" repeater on Moose but could barely hear the county "A" repeater at all on Cannon Mtn. I was blocked by the hill I lived on. My location in Hanover favored listening to stuff in VT. A friend of mine across the river in VT had no trouble hearing the "A" repeater. I could hear the A repeater better during band openings and once in a while I could hear the C repeater. Grafton County callsigns KSV788 (A repeater on Cannon) and KTP956 (B repeater on Moose) are very memorable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.