Niagara Parks Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlisted

Anyone know what freq's they operate on? Yes, I have checked the DB, but did not find a direct listing for "security" or "police" for Niagara Parks. Seems I will be down there quite often, and there is simply nothing to listen to... (other than the US)

Thanks.

unlisted

too many pple dammit..

Anyone got a idea what I can listen to in Niagara Falls, when I am down that way? (other than NY stuffs)

Seeing as I will be down there almost every weekend..... heh.

VE3RADIO

NRPS SIM 1 is a often active and it repeats the St. Cats NRPS channel, also throw in all the Niagara conventional freqs as they are almost all P25 now.. nice to listen too.. very clear! St. Cats fire is very active and interesting.

unlisted

NRPS SIM 1 is a often active and it repeats the St. Cats NRPS channel

...hardly working @ work I see.. LOL!!

and if you and the misses are ever down N. Falls way, let me know in advance, I may be able to swing you guys some free passes to many events.. ;)

tusker305

155.685 NY State Parks Police.Not Trunked, Not P25, Not encrypted. You Know like the olden days, Clear as a bell. I feel for folks in Ontario, somehow the government of O has not figured out that they can have very good radio communications. Without giving a Billion of the citizens dollars to Motorola.

radioskip1

The Welland Canal opens for the 2010 navigation season soon. Marine channel 14 (156.700) is their control centre to ship channel. And the tourist helicopters as well as any small aircraft that join the scenic loop down the river and over Niagara Falls must broadcast their intentions on an air band freq. that I can't locate right now. In the past the N.Y. State Parks Police and Niagara Parks Police (ON) monitored one another's radio traffic. If the encrypted Canadians need some assistance from the US side, like a hiker is lost or stranded on the gorge wall, they will ask the Americans to be spotters from their side. And of course you can get some idea what's happening as they use open comms.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
To qualify the Channel 14 thing...

The St. Lawrence Seaway uses a few channels;

11 - 156.5500
12 - 156.6000
13 - 156.6500
14 - 156.7000

However, the ones of interest for the Welland Canal are 11 and 14.

Channel 11 is used for Seaway Long Point and Seaway Newcastle.
-Seaway Long Point is for vessels entering/exiting the Welland Canal via Port Colborne (South end)
-Seaway Newcastle is for vessels entering/exiting the Welland Canal via St. Catharines (North end)

Channel 14 is used for Seaway Welland
-Seaway Welland is for vessels while within the confines of the Welland Canal (Port Colborne to St. Catharines).

Of course, all ships are required to monitor Channel 16 (156.8000) as well. Channel 10 (156.5000) is often used for intercommunication within the Welland Canal system, unrelated to working channels.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Radioskip is correct about getting info on Niagara Parks Police activities by listening to the NYS Parks Police. Same goes for Niagara Falls Fire and EMS freqs. Many searches/rescues also involve the use of the Whirlpool Jet Boat, Niagara Helicopters and to a lesser extent - the Maid of the Mist.

tusker305

122.0500 AM is the Falls Helicopter Traffic ID Zone. Don't know what freqs the Whirlpool Jet Boat or Maid of the Mist use.

Last edited:

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
I have the following programmed in for Whirlpool Jets and The Maid, but I only started listening in late in the navigational season last year. I was also a long way away and only heard snippets. YMMV;
Whirlpool Jet 151.895 (DCS 023)
Whirlpool Jet 156.500
Maid o Mist 151.520
Niagara Falls Fire is in the DB but you have to program the freqs listed as a conventional system. You will also end up listening to Customs, Chair-A-Van, and the St.John Ambulance water patrol on the same freqs.
EMS is on part of the Bell Fleetnet Zone 2 which has an antenna on top of the Skylon Tower. It shouts out very strongery strong - you almost don't need a scanner to hear it! Just kidding.
BTW - I have NYS Parks Police entered with a tone of 82.5hz

radioskip1

exkalibur, are those marine channels you posted (Ch. 12 & Ch. 13) used by the upbound and downbound vessels when they take direction from the lock master as they approach the lock? I've listened but it's mostly "20 metres, 15 metres, 10 metres to go....." type of thing.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
They patrol the Welland River around Chippewa, but have been involved in incidents on the flatter sections of the upper Niagara. Their boathouse is on the north side of the Welland River just west of Tim Hortons.
NF SJA is also the umbrella agency for Search And Rescue Niagara (SARN) who assist the NRP with missing person ground searches but I have no info on any freqs they use.
Check out St John Ambulance, Niagara Falls

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
exkalibur, are those marine channels you posted (ch. 12 & ch. 13) used by the upbound and downbound vessels when they take direction from the lock master as they approach the lock? I've listened but it's mostly "20 metres, 15 metres, 10 metres to go....." type of thing.

156.5500 marine ch# 11 (ship is approaching canal)
156.700 marine ch#14 (ship in canal)
156.800 marine ch#16
156.8500 marine ch# 17 (upbound ship to lock)
156.3250 marine ch# 66a (downbound ship to lock)

Status
Not open for further replies.