Niagara Region P25 system Tower sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was looking to update my mobile scanner for Fire Frequencies and I noticed in the data base only 1 tower site is listed I see TG's for Niagara Falls, St Catharines, West Lincoln, I assume there is more than 1 tower for the region.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with the system, but either it could be either
A) one tower in a good central location that covers all those areas or
B) a simulcast system with multiple tower locations using the same frequencies.

According to the Site 1 map details it appears to be one centrally located tower (assuming the information and range is correct)

The police used 6 towers on the VHF system not mention the remote RX towers i.e St Catharines 142.4100 ch 1 was on Brock U but they also had a RX remote (Lake st & QEW) and that is VHF. For 700Mhz I can't see simulcast being used due to the lack of frequencies on the system. And if somehow it is simulcast then I should rephrase my question to where are the tower sites located?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It's simulcast. Only sites I know of for sure are on the Schmon tower (Brock U), tower behind the NRPS station in Welland, and near GNGH in Niagara Falls. There are certainly more.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Tower behind Welland detachment was taken down about a month ago.

Well there goes that idea. There used to be one there. Is there a site nearby? The signal is full strength, without an antenna, at Lincoln St and PCD. I just assumed it was coming from that tower but obviously not!

technoweenie

My thoughts were either the large Bell Mobility cell tower near the Welland dump, or on Fonthill somewhere. I'd place my bets on the cell site near the dump in the south end of Welland as that would cover Welland, Pt Colborne and Wainfleet really well. That tower is probably 200+ ft tall.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I'm betting that since Bell lost the Niagara Police contract long ago, they wouldn't exactly give them a break on tower space rent.

There'd have to be receive sites all over the place though. There's no way a site in Welland would suffice for a 700MHz portable on the Lake Erie shores in Wainfleet or what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.