Niagara Region Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusker305

The other morning Toronto had a five alarm fire. I thought I should be able to monitor across the lake, NOPE. Anyone from near the falls monitor Toronto Public Safety from this area?

VE3RADIO

I have heard them clear as day from Niagara Falls, make sure you have the south tower programmed in.. that being said when I got to Fort Erie it said out of range on my display... same goes for Peel Region and Hamilton TRS.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Unless you are near the lake it will be almost impossible to get Toronto.
I am in Aldershot (Burlington) facing the escarpment (west) I find it impossible to get the control channel on my 396, my old 246 was better at it & I barely got a signal. This is using a Diamond 77RSMA.
From my neighbours apartment on the other side of the building (N, NE) I am barely able to get the south tower.
I think the 5 alarm fire was on West T3.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Toronto FD

I go to the Falls area at least 10 times a year. We stay in St.Cath's (QEW & Lake street area) and can pickup Toronto Fire quite well.. although i've noticed when heading to the falls area once i pass the QEW / Thoroldstone rd area i tend to loose the signal... have picked it up occasionally around Marineland but not consistant or strong signal. using Pro-96 w/800mhz antenna..

Kirk

tusker305

Funny Thing, I can't seem to grab Toronto, but, doing a vhf search tonight, I got fire tones on 153.770 and the young lady IDed as Guelph Fire Control. That's 70 miles, T.O. is around 40. VHF and 800 two different worlds.

Keganm

Premium Subscriber
I get Guelph fire control on the Niagara On The Lake fire dispatch channel depending on where in the region I am.

mciupa

Database Admin
...and up here in Toronto I hear also sorts of calls being dispatched out for Niagara County NY fire on 425.4625 and 46.06.

I never seem to be able to hear after they switch to TAC, but noticed that they are using DPL's. I think I'll add those and lower the squelch when they switch over. :cool:

By the way, is Grand Island (453.5125) still active? Their signal used to roll in to Toronto regularly , but can't say I've heard them lately.

radioskip1

153.770 must still used by many Ontario fire departments. St. Catharines probably moved due to the interference from Guelph. It's not unusual to hear Guelph dispatch calls to Arthur, Puslinch, Eramosa or Elora in Niagara North. Guelph must use 153.770 as a regional channel to trip the volunteer's pagers.

SuperTex

153.770 must still used by many Ontario fire departments. St. Catharines probably moved due to the interference from Guelph. It's not unusual to hear Guelph dispatch calls to Arthur, Puslinch, Eramosa or Elora in Niagara North. Guelph must use 153.770 as a regional channel to trip the volunteer's pagers.

153.770 is a County wide fire frequency according to the database, it's likely on a repeater.

The County type frequncies and the OFM frequencies will go a fair ways in my experience.

tusker305

mciupa, If you can here them, try Buffalo Fire on the Dispatch 424.225 DCS 565 and Amherst Fire Control on 425.400. Let us know if you can hear that far.

VE3RADIO

mciupa, If you can here them, try Buffalo Fire on the Dispatch 424.225 DCS 565 and Amherst Fire Control on 425.400. Let us know if you can hear that far.

On a good night I can hear Buffalo Police and Fire.. even the NY State Police.. I am in Mississauga (10 minutes west of the Toronto city limits) - that being said, I have good antenna's up.. if I use a handheld I get nothing from Erie CO - But a ton of stuff from Niagara (NF City PD, NF Sheriff and Fire Dispatch)

tusker305

If you guys are getting signal like that. Give a simple cable tv amp between the antenna and the radio a try. By far the best 20 bucks I have ever spent. Try to find one with a little adjustment knob from 10-20 db. Found this one: 10DB UHF/VHF/FM COAX AMPLIFIER | Video Amplifiers | TheSource.ca On The Source website, Walmart, Best Buy, etc will have them too. But really try to find the adjustable one. Looks like this one but has a little knob for the gain. You won't be dissapointed. I Garr Onn Teeeeee.

Status
Not open for further replies.