Niagara Regional Police Service - P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

Hey all!

I had no idea that Niagara Regional Police had gone digital! I added the Niagara region to my scanner via the internet feature in ARC 396 and have been able to monitor the NRPS. Most of the channels are encypted, however the Fort Erie repeater seems to be wide open at most times, same goes for Niagara on the Lake. To make things even crazier.. im monitoring from the 3rd floor of my house in south Mississauga. I do have a astro spectra antenna mag mounted to my metal window frame..

What have your experianced with Niagara Regional Police been?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I was just there a hour ago. I never bothered to imput it in.
Are you saying its in the clear?

It makes sense that you can hear them, the lake would probably enhance or at least not impeed the signal.

VE3RADIO

EJB said:
I was just there a hour ago. I never bothered to imput it in.
Are you saying its in the clear?

It makes sense that you can hear them, the lake would probably enhance or at least not impeed the signal.

You got it! Fort Erie and Niagara-On-The-Lake talk groups have been wide open.. everything else is encrypted..im also getting Brock University.. strange..

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I'll load 'em in.
I doubt I could hear them from Burlington.
I face the escarpment on one side to the north & the Hammer to the west.
I canr get either the falls or Fonthill from my domicile, from Toronto both come in great.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
NRP Frequencies

EJB said:
Heard some stuff on NOTL in the clear, maybe N.Falls also.

:) Please keep us up to date on this, I wish I could help out and listen in, I'm in Fort Erie but I had to send in my 396t to Radioworld last week to have the plug fixed on the side of the radio because it was getting loose, Radioworld told me that I will not be getting the scanner back until the end of April because the tech person is unavailable until then.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Waiting

Forts said:
Eeesh... I think I would have requested it back in the meantime.

:( I came close on the phone when they called me to tell me, but I would have to repackage the scanner and pay for the shipping and handling again, plus the insurance again for it so I thought what the heck just keep it and I'll have to use my old pro-2045 so I can listen to some conventional frequencies until I get the 396t back.
Steve

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Saint said:
Radioworld told me that I will not be getting the scanner back until the end of April because the tech person is unavailable until then.
Steve

Let that be a lesson to you.

You should have sent it to Lectron in Peterborough. You would probably have it back in under a week.

If Radioworld can't fix it until the end of April, then request them to ship it back at their expense.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Saint said:
:) Please keep us up to date on this, I wish I could help out and listen in, I'm in Fort Erie but I had to send in my 396t to Radioworld last week to have the plug fixed on the side of the radio because it was getting loose, Radioworld told me that I will not be getting the scanner back until the end of April because the tech person is unavailable until then.
Steve
Steve, i dont think you are missing much.
After further review all I can hear are encrypted comms on the St. Kitts & Grimsby channels.
The Niagara on the lake frequency doesnt sound encrypted.
Back to my new monitoring joys, Brantford Fleetnet & tons of rail traffic :).

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

EJB said:
Steve, i dont think y ou are missing much.
After further review all I can hear are encrypted comms on the St. Kitts & Grimsby channels.

I am definatly getting NRPS of the two aformentioned tg's

Saint

Premium Subscriber
RadioWorld

Mike_Oxlong said:
Let that be a lesson to you.

You should have sent it to Lectron in Peterborough. You would probably have it back in under a week.

If Radioworld can't fix it until the end of April, then request them to ship it back at their expense.

:lol: I have dealt with RadioWorld for several years and have had no issues with them, they are as far as I'm concerned second to none, this is the first time something like this has happened and it could be a health problem or something else came up like another emergency, it does not change my mind about doing business with them.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Encrypted

EJB said:
Steve, i dont think you are missing much.
The Niagara on the lake frequency doesnt sound encrypted.

:wink: Thanks for the update EJB, I was keeping my fingers crosed but what the heck.
Steve

hypersight

WZ1 said:
You got it! Fort Erie and Niagara-On-The-Lake talk groups have been wide open.. everything else is encrypted..im also getting Brock University.. strange..

You mentioned talk groups - I thought NRPS uses conventional channels....or I am missing something?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They are not using "Talkgroups".

Perhaps if you could tell us exactly what frequencies you are listening to?

To tell if it is NRPS or not... Their dispatcher is called "933". So, if you hear a Niagara Falls unit say something like "933, 21-11" then you know you're hearing NRPS. If you hear "All Cars, All Units on Operations Channel 2" that is NRPS. If you hear "XJF933", that is NRPS.

Anything else, and it likely isn't them. I can't imagine them not using encryption on just a couple of the channels.

palo1

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I needed to toss this in

I've shopped there when it was Norham, before they merged with Atlantic. They have always done things "their" way and the customer was not always "right" and this was even when they had competition. I've never been treated unfairly by them but there have been times when I felt I should have been treated differently.

I continue to shop there

p

Saint said:
:lol: I have dealt with RadioWorld for several years and have had no issues with them, they are as far as I'm concerned second to none, this is the first time something like this has happened and it could be a health problem or something else came up like another emergency, it does not change my mind about doing business with them.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
NRP lingo

exkalibur said:
They are not using "Talkgroups".

Perhaps if you could tell us exactly what frequencies you are listening to?

To tell if it is NRPS or not... Their dispatcher is called "933". So, if you hear a Niagara Falls unit say something like "933, 21-11" then you know you're hearing NRPS. If you hear "All Cars, All Units on Operations Channel 2" that is NRPS. If you hear "XJF933", that is NRPS.

Anything else, and it likely isn't them. I can't imagine them not using encryption on just a couple of the channels.

That rings a bell, it's been so long since I listened to the NRP I had forgot.
I remember it went something like this,
Any cars the started with 23, like 23-11, 23-23, 23-15 were Fort Erie Cars.
Then you had 24-** CARS, 25-** CARS I think 26-** Cars were St. Catharines
this told you were the cars were from (ie) Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, Welland, Port Colborne, Grimsby and so on, Also there were Sergent 23 or 24, or 25 for different Zones.

WZ1, are you hearing anything like this when you hear them talking, also could you please tell us what frequencies you are listening too, could you be getting the OPP splashing over too the NRPS frequencies, Also are you hearing dispatcher sending these officers to addresses in any of the cities or towns I have mentioned in this reply.
Steve

VE3RADIO

When i listen tonight i will jot down the frequency.. im 99% certain it was police, the scanner said p25 when the transmition occured and it was a marker check.. the only thing that it could have been was a parking enforcment.. but then again.. why on Fort Erie.. and why in p25 public safety?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Nrp

WZ1 said:
When i listen tonight i will jot down the frequency.. im 99% certain it was police, the scanner said p25 when the transmition occured and it was a marker check.. the only thing that it could have been was a parking enforcment.. but then again.. why on Fort Erie.. and why in p25 public safety?

Thanks WZ1, it could be they were doing some maintenance on the system or some other reason they droped the encryption, I wish I could give you a hand and listen in down hear in Fort Erie ,I pick up these frequencies all the time. Thanks for taking the time.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.