NIFOG 2.0 is out

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

Technically, I'm retired from all the organizations that would use NIFOG but, in reality, I still get called to help because others are still (slowly) training on it.

Last edited:

PACNWDude

Thank you for posting the link. The NIFOG has been very helpful over the years, but hard copies have always seemed to be hard to come by. Oil spill conferences and hazmat training is where I ended up getting my hard copies, but that ended in v1.6.1. Hopefully 2.0 will be in hard print and available at some point....the flip book style worked well for me, and fit well in a pair of cargo pants pockets.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
per page 34 of 192 - • Repeater mode: mobile transmits on “Mobile TX” freq., receives on “Base & Mobile TX” freq.

Therefore all of the repeater pair listings in the NIFOG are given from the 'perspective' of the mobile unit.

Yes or No ?

---------------

I need to update this post - I left out two sentences that preceded the one that I posted - the 3 sentences from the NIFOG are -

• All frequencies in this guide represent mobile and portable programming.

Direct (Simplex) mode: receive & transmit on “Mobile RX” freq.; add “D” to channel name (Except in VHF as indicated).

• Repeater mode: mobile transmits on “Mobile TX” freq., receives on “Base & Mobile TX” freq.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Therefore all of the repeater pair listings in the NIFOG are given from the 'perspective' of the mobile unit.

Yes or No ?

Yes, as it should be. It's designed as a FIELD operation guide, not "sitting at the repeater site" guide.

receives on “Base & Mobile TX” freq

This might confuse some. If you look at the VTAC simplex frequencies, then look at the VTAC3x repeater pairs, you can see that they are the same frequencies, just used for repeater in and out.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
IPSC has been handing out copies at meetings and for those that are doing virtual pointing to the PDF's...

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
just to be clear - I dont have any Baofengs set up to transmit - (this comment is for the agents and attorneys)

also to be clear - NIFOG 2.0 is now a 192 page document

and to be clearly clear - it is common for hams to use the terminology of "in" and "out" and "offset" when describing the programming of radios on repeater systems - please see New England Repeater Directory

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
just to be clear - I dont have any Baofengs set up to transmit - (this comment is for the agents and attorneys)

Good. But that wasn't directed at you.
It was directed at those that are always looking for a reason to hop on public safety frequencies. We've noticed locally that with the influx of Baofengs and the other crap Chinese radios for $25 bucks, that were getting more interference/kerchunking of our systems. During a recent wildland fire in an area with a lot of homes, we had locals popping up on fire dispatch channels "trying to help".
Whenever info like this is released, there's a segment of the population that assumes it authorizes them to use said public safety frequencies "in an emergency".
For those that think that, there are specific rules in place, and the DHS has specifically put some info in the document to stop that.
There is also the "AUXFOG" document for the hams that lays out which frequencies hams can use to interoperate with public safety.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Sent a request to get physical copies. Haven't heard back yet. Thanks!!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There is also the "AUXFOG" document for the hams that lays out which frequencies hams can use to interoperate with public safety.
The updated AUXFOG reportedly won't be released until early next year.
Sent a request to get physical copies. Haven't heard back yet. Thanks!!
Printed copies of NIFOG 2.0 are not yet available.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Printed copies of NIFOG 2.0 are not yet available.
[/QUOTE]

That's fine, it'll probably sit in queue until they get em available.

cg

Premium Subscriber
The hard copy is a spiralbound, rip and water resistant paper version with nice sturdy covers. It is not a home printed computer paper stapled version. Nice to keep in my box of programming cables.

chris