NIFOG Programming

This may fit better in a general radio forum but please feel free to direct me to the right place. I am programming NIFOG into my radio, I see a lot of other setups that have direct channels, the only difference is the Rx NAC is either F7E or 293, how could this be the difference between a repeater or simplex, what is the real point or difference, which is better for true interoperability? Thanks for any help and explaining this to me, best wishes

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
F7E is a special NAC that only works in real subscriber radios, basically the P25 equivalent of CSQ (unmute for all transmissions). F7E will not work in scanners, so either program them as 293 (the default NAC for nationwide P25 interop channels), or leave it NAC Search.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I see a lot of other setups that have direct channels, the only difference is the Rx NAC is either F7E or 293, how could this be the difference between a repeater or simplex, what is the real point or difference, which is better for true interoperability? Thanks for any help and explaining this to me, best wishes

In the NIFOG, the VHF frequencies are reused as both simplex and repeater input/outputs. If you look at the full NIFOG guide, you'll see it.

151.1375 is VTAC11. It's also the repeater input of VTAC33 and the repeater output of VTAC36
154.4525 is VTAC12. It's also the repeater input of VTAC34 and the repeater output of VTAC37
158.7375 is VTAC13. It's also the repeater input of VTAC35 and the repeater output of VTAC38
159.4725 is VTAC14. It's also the repeater input of VTAC38 and the repeater output of VTAC35

NIFOG sez:
CAUTION: Ensure coordination between VTAC simplex and repeater operations. These channels are created by utilizing the frequencies listed for VTAC11-14

The idea is the on scene COMM-L or COMM-T would pick what makes the most sense based on the event, and assign users accordingly. This lets them use simplex if it is all that is needed, or use tactical repeaters, and set up on the pair arrangement that makes the most sense.

The Federal VHF LE channels are set up the same way.

UTAC, 7TAC and 8TAC channels have standardized offsets, and there's enough of them, that they simply use the repeater output as a simple channel.

As for the NAC:
$293 is "Default NAC"
$F7E is "Receiver will un-squelch with any incoming NAC (think carrier squelch as GTR8000 said)

Download the DHS NIFOG document that I linked to above and spend some time reading it. There's some really good info in there that explains a lot of it. If you get towards the back after the frequency stuff, there's some great general radio information and resources.

In the NIFOG, the VHF frequencies are reused as both simplex and repeater input/outputs. If you look at the full NIFOG guide, you'll see it.

151.1375 is VTAC11. It's also the repeater input of VTAC33 and the repeater output of VTAC36
154.4525 is VTAC12. It's also the repeater input of VTAC34 and the repeater output of VTAC37
158.7375 is VTAC13. It's also the repeater input of VTAC35 and the repeater output of VTAC38
159.4725 is VTAC14. It's also the repeater input of VTAC38 and the repeater output of VTAC35

NIFOG sez:
CAUTION: Ensure coordination between VTAC simplex and repeater operations. These channels are created by utilizing the frequencies listed for VTAC11-14

The idea is the on scene COMM-L or COMM-T would pick what makes the most sense based on the event, and assign users accordingly. This lets them use simplex if it is all that is needed, or use tactical repeaters, and set up on the pair arrangement that makes the most sense.

UTAC, 7TAC and 8TAC channels have standardized offsets, and there's enough of them, that they simply use the repeater output as a simple channel.

As for the NAC:
$293 is "Default NAC"
$F7E is "Receiver will un-squelch with any incoming NAC (think carrier squelch as GTR8000 said)

Download the DHS NIFOG document that I linked to above and spend some time reading it. There's some really good info in there that explains a lot of it. If you get towards the back after the frequency stuff, there's some great general radio information and resources.
Thank you for the reply and info, definitely will be doing some more reading, thanks again

ecps92

NIFOG sez:

As for the NAC:
$293 is "Default NAC"

Also here is the 205, for programming many of these frequencies.