NIFOG VFire/VMed/VLaw Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
After reading through several threads on this forum I have become increasingly confused on what I thought was a fairly straight forward issue. I am looking for clarity as to the use for the NIFOG VFire/VMed/VLaw frequencies.

I have read and reviewed the NIFOG Several times and the WARNING on the VHF Public Safety Mutual Aid and Common Channels states "These frequencies are NOT covered by the blanket authorization for nationwide interoperability channels. A valid FCC license for these frequencies is required. Availability subject to other licensed users in the same area." That seems very clear to me. Your agency can only use the frequencies in which it holds a license. So if my agency does not have a license for the VFire21 frequency then I cannot legal use that channel.

However after reading the threads on here it sounds like people are treating the VFire/VMed/VLaw frequencies just like the VTac frequencies. According to Page 4 of the NIFOG the authorization for use of the VTac Channels is very different from that of the VFire/VMed/VLaw Channels.

I rely heavily on the NIFOG during fire season. For the most part I have always been limited to the VTac Channels since all the other channels require a license. At least this has been my understanding. Am I wrong? If so please clarify. If a Public Safety agency was to go through the licensing process for the VFire/VMed/VLaw Channels does this require frequency coordination or is this similar to a business applying for itinerant frequencies where no frequency coordination is necessary?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Only the VTACs (and UTACs) are covered by the blanket authorization, which was issued in an FCC order around 2000. The VFIRE etc require a license.....OR authorization from a licensee who needs to communicate with you. For example a State may license it and then enter into agreements with entities who operate at large fires.
What agencies are really doing....well not everyone always follows all the rules :)

ecps92

You would be BEST to reach out to the SWIC in your state.

Frequencies, altho part of the NIFOG also have in-state applications and legacy users, they would know the best and some states have the FCC license for the Interops [Repeaters] and can provide you with the RULES of your state. ie: Call xyz-xxx-xxxx to request a channel assignment etc

After reading through several threads on this forum I have become increasingly confused on what I thought was a fairly straight forward issue. I am looking for clarity as to the use for the NIFOG VFire/VMed/VLaw frequencies.

I have read and reviewed the NIFOG Several times and the WARNING on the VHF Public Safety Mutual Aid and Common Channels states "These frequencies are NOT covered by the blanket authorization for nationwide interoperability channels. A valid FCC license for these frequencies is required. Availability subject to other licensed users in the same area." That seems very clear to me. Your agency can only use the frequencies in which it holds a license. So if my agency does not have a license for the VFire21 frequency then I cannot legal use that channel.

However after reading the threads on here it sounds like people are treating the VFire/VMed/VLaw frequencies just like the VTac frequencies. According to Page 4 of the NIFOG the authorization for use of the VTac Channels is very different from that of the VFire/VMed/VLaw Channels.

I rely heavily on the NIFOG during fire season. For the most part I have always been limited to the VTac Channels since all the other channels require a license. At least this has been my understanding. Am I wrong? If so please clarify. If a Public Safety agency was to go through the licensing process for the VFire/VMed/VLaw Channels does this require frequency coordination or is this similar to a business applying for itinerant frequencies where no frequency coordination is necessary?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Our Military Department Emergency Management Division along with our SWIC seem to be focused on OneNet/FirstNet. They are also preparing for a major earthquake and the subsequent Search & Rescue Operations. Our state seems to understand the importance of licensing radio frequencies for statewide use for SAR Operations. However the same understanding and support does not seem to exist for the operations and management of other emergencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.