Night Vision on Police Cruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1JJP

Premium Subscriber
Noticed on the Pittsfield PD unmarked "traffic" car there are three rectangular devices mounted on the trunk. Two are on the passenger side and one on the drivers, all facing different directions. They seem to emit a red glow from them. I cannot figure out what they could be, maybe a license plate reader? I have not been able to get close enough to inspect. Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what they could be?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Yes, probably a license plate scanner. Check out this Wikipedia article for an explanation.

One local PD uses these, they have one on each corner of the car at 45 degree angles to the major axis (for mobile scanning) and then two more on the trunk corners at 90 degrees to major for scanning parked cars.

methusaleh

I concur with ALPRs. You can't see infrared light from NODs, and most mobile systems I have seen are mounted on the dash or A-pillar of the cruiser.

W1JJP

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting, thanks for the info. Kind of funny since it is an umarked car and those contraptions are hanging off the trunk......

Status
Not open for further replies.