WS1080: Nightmare - Updating 1080 W/ Lenovo L450

Status
Not open for further replies.

hth999

Maybe this will help someone. For over a year I have been unable to consistently update my WS 1080, including my WS 1095. When I say consistently, my Lenovo Laptop L450 sometimes will recognize the scanner, most times not, and get the dreaded USB message saying NOT Recognized, or Unknown. As far as updating the scan lists, it's not a problem, because I sidestep EZ Software, and use a Card Reader. This is the best way to update your Scan lists. Very fast too. I have a problem with updating the DSP, and the Firmware, which I am happy to say I was able to do so, probably with the help of a higher power. When my Laptop does occasionally recognize the scanner ( about 1 in 4 chance ) I can update the DSP, but not the Firmware, always getting the USB message, Not recognized or Unknown. I have tried all the suggestions from other group members, who by the way have been fantastic with suggestions. I have tried ALL, and I mean ALL of the suggestions and procedures, to no avail. A member last night suggested downloading the CPU installer from Whistler. That helped, and I was able to get up to date firmware on both my 1080 and 1095. It was not easy. I have tried several different USB cords. I have a quality one that works best, however the scanners still are not recognized all the time by my Window 7 Lenovo L450. In my case when the computer does recognize the scanner, I go into EZ software, try to execute the Firmware, and when it fails, I load the CPU installer. Since the scanner is in boot mode for Firmware ( white screen ) I can then use the CPU installer. It actually worked!
I must also say, I have several SDR's and 3 other scanners that are not Whistler products. All update with no issues. Firmware, DSP, Scan Lists, you name it, this laptop is great......until it runs into Whistler, then it is not compatible. it can't be the USB ports, Can't be a poor cable. Tried all that. Tried all the procedures on driver re install, etc.
If anyone is thinking of Buying a Lenovo laptop, running Windows 7, you may possibly have the same issues. I am not sure. I really like Windows 7, but I probably should have upgraded to Windows 10, maybe that would have helped. If anyone has had similar issues and solved your problem, please let me know. I am good now, both Whistler scanners are fully up to date.....DSP, CPU, and everything else. Both are working well. Sorry for rambling on, but this may help someone with similar issues.

Ed6698

I can understand your frustration. I had other devices in the past that would never work on certain computers/OS's. I remember about a year or so ago someone had a Toshiba laptop that only had USB 3.0 ports and could not get his RS Pro 688 to work with it no matter what he tried, many people tried to help, and I don't think he ever got it to work. It is just one of those unexplained things it seems. Some have no issues, some have a issue that can be worked out, others can never get it to work. The only thing between your problem and the other one that caught my attention is a computer with only USB 3.0 ports. Don't know if that could possibly be the "that's it issue" or not.

hth999

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. Very good group here, with some good people. I think you are right, when you mention the USB ports being 3.0. I have read that in other posts here and there. That may be the problem with my particular laptop. Perhaps the driver that Whistler uses is not compatible with 3.0, or is better suited to 2.0. ( With Windows 7 ) At this point it's a guessing game, however, I should have mentioned in my post about the 3.0 USB ports. I did mention the USB ports work with all other devices I have hooked up to this particular Laptop ( GRE 500, Whistler 1065, 1040, Uniden 536, 436, SDR's Airspy, Elad FDM-S2
FDM-S1, WinRadio G31 DDC ) All drivers loaded without incident. All work very well. I agree with you on sometimes things cannot be explained. Well, maybe someone reading this will understand, and it will help someone, who knows. At this point, I have both the 1080 and 1095 up to date, so I'm good for quite a while. I like them so much I will keep them, because they are my go to scanners. Thank you again for helping.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I update my pro-668 and Psr 800 via usb 3.0 ports using windows 7.
Make sure your windows 10 has all the latest windows updates and your computer hardware has all the latest device drivers installed. Go to the computers manufacturers website to download them. In addition make sure your computers bios is up to date and ALLOWS it to boot off usb (not sure if it matters) But some computers block this is in the bios settings.

hth999

I have already done all this. Maybe I missed something, but this has been tried. BIOS was just updated a week or so ago. Went into BIOS setting and changed USB settings, nothing worked. I'm not looking for a solution now, but thanks for your suggestion. It may be a minor change in some setting somewhere, but I have been unable to find it. There comes a time to move on. I have spent multiple hours on this. It's not worth trying anymore. If I change something in the BIOS, then perhaps all my other Scanners and SDR's won't work. Not wroth the risk. I've got both the 1080 and 1095 now up to date, so I'm good for many months. I just wanted to post my problems / experiences, so perhaps it may help someone else.

hth999

Swipesy,
This is something I have not tried. It's tempting, however I have many other radios, Scanners and SDR's that run flawlessly. I watched the YouTube video, and this seems risky to me. if I do this, then possibly all the other devices I have connected will not work properly or will need to be completely re loaded from the start. I don't think it's worth the risk. Now, if I had multiple problems as the video suggests, I would move forward and do it. It is an interesting idea......so thank you for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.