Nighttime CB skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacscan

Hearing Colorado, Canada, Oregon, and Washington State here in Sacramento, CA at almost midnight.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sounds like classic coastal ducting caused by a temperature inversion, check your weather charts for further developments.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Coastal ducting at 27Mhz? I didn't think that was a mode that would work on HF.

I think it more likely that some E Skip is taking place here. I've read that during this season, it can happen at virtually any time, including late at night. It seems to be more common during times of low sunspot activity, which we sadly are in right now. AFAIK the actual cause is not well understood. 73 Mike

KF4ZTO

It's possible. 27 MHz is a strange band...one day it behaves like 150 MHz and the next it behaves like 14 MHz. I hear 38LSB booming in almost ever afternoon here on the east coast. When the sporadic-E opens up (and lowband gets active) then 26 to 28 MHz gets interesting.

sacscan

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know sporadic-E happened at night. Then again, I'm not a ham so I didn't learn all the stuff you need to know to pass the test.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As hams, sure, knowing about E skip (often abbreviated Es) on 6 or 2 meters is fun, but non-hams can do it too.... Folks who chase DX on the TV and FM bands (you don't need to be a ham for this), skip on the VHF lo band and higher (ditto) are just 2 examples.

Speaking of TV/FM DXing (including a nice discussion of Es), here is a nice Wiki article on the subject...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV/FM_DX

73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.