NiMH vs Alkaline for C Crane Skywave

Status
Not open for further replies.

usclassic

I usually will use AA rechargeable batteries in most everything using that size with good results. But I started wondering if the added .6 volt of 2 alkalines would benefit the C Crane Skywave radio I just ordered. If there are no comments perhaps I will do some testing. The Skywave only uses two AA so 3 volts vs 2.4 and in radios like the Tecsum 660 would be getting 6 volts vs 4.8. Does that extra power have any noticeable benefit? Perhaps the audio quality may improve with more power for amp headroom? Obviously I am killing time as I wait for my Skywave to arrive.

KD8DVR

I usually will use AA rechargeable batteries in most everything using that size with good results. But I started wondering if the added .6 volt of 2 alkalines would benefit the C Crane Skywave radio I just ordered. If there are no comments perhaps I will do some testing. The Skywave only uses two AA so 3 volts vs 2.4 and in radios like the Tecsum 660 would be getting 6 volts vs 4.8. Does that extra power have any noticeable benefit? Perhaps the audio quality may improve with more power for amp headroom? Obviously I am killing time as I wait for my Skywave to arrive.

Just see.... I have a small SW receiver that NiMh batteries work great in. Give it a shot. Might work great for you.

usclassic

Thanks for your comment John. I realized after posting the voltage difference is not as great. I was thinking about the old NiCD batteries that were 1.2volt cells. The NiMH cells are 1.45 volts so there should not be any noticeable difference.
Larry

usclassic

I have been running some NiMH AAs through the test cycle of my LaCrosse BC500 to get some cells matched up. and that is the resting voltage range 1.37 to 1.45 from the first 6 cells and .79 to 2.1 ah.
Old Sanyo eneloop and newer Duracell came in at the 2.1 ah. Energizers only .79, .93, .60, and one 1.65 ah. I am now running some EBL 2800s through the same test cycle.
I will try to test them in the radio under load after I get the Skywave as well as some alkaline cells to compare. Thanks for your comment. Larry

kc2kth

It's pretty common for people to report better performance using alakines vs NiMH, especially in smaller radios or where reception may be marginal (SW, AM DX, even scanners). I keep alkalines in most of mine including the Tecsun 680, Eton Satellit, all my Zenith TransOceanics (500 and 600 series), and my CCrane 2E Enhanced, EP and CCRadio SW. I save the rechargables for the scanners.

slicerwizard

I have been running some NiMH AAs through the test cycle of my LaCrosse BC500 to get some cells matched up. and that is the resting voltage range 1.37 to 1.45
All cells read high after charging. Even brand new alkalines read high - 1.6V or so, but that doesn't make them 1.6V batteries. You'll definitely see considerably lower NiMH voltages under load conditions.

usclassic

No doubt the NiMH run at lower voltage - I see them around 1.26 v during the discharge test cycle. The questions then becomes which chemistry has the most stable voltage to end of cycle/life. Do the voltages of each type cross each other as they discharge or do the alkaline batteries remain at the higher voltage until complete exhaustion.

Status
Not open for further replies.