SDS100/SDS200: Nip it In the Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I like the idea of having the first run battery and door and also having the 2nd run battery and door. A plus for us first adopters in my opinion.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all who answered my question about the lithium batteries being Li-Ion or LiPo. I plainly see from the pics that BOTH the first production run (with the smaller capacity battery) and all future runs (with higher capacity batteries) will be LiPo.

Follow-on question... from what I can gather, the first smaller capacity battery is probably a two cell battery? 3.7volts X 2 = 7.4 volts. If the radio needs to see 5. volts, that would suffice. But the usage life of this fully charged battery was only around 3-4 hours. What did Uniden do to increase the usage life of the newer higher capacity battery? Add another cell? Or two cells in parallel?

My limited knowledge of lithium batteries tells me from a users standpoint there is not much difference between Li-Ion and LiPo characteristics EXCEPT the physical aspects of a LiPo allow for “molding” of the individual cells into an enclosure... allowing for stuffing more cells into the same confined space (or in this case an added 8mm of space afforded by the larger battery cover). Li-ion cell’s come in a form factor slightly larger than a AA disposable. I pose this as a question also. Comments are welcome please.

jasonhouk

Thanks to all who answered my question about the lithium batteries being Li-Ion or LiPo. I plainly see from the pics that BOTH the first production run (with the smaller capacity battery) and all future runs (with higher capacity batteries) will be LiPo.

Follow-on question... from what I can gather, the first smaller capacity battery is probably a two cell battery? 3.7volts X 2 = 7.4 volts. If the radio needs to see 5. volts, that would suffice. But the usage life of this fully charged battery was only around 3-4 hours. What did Uniden do to increase the usage life of the newer higher capacity battery? Add another cell? Or two cells in parallel?

My limited knowledge of lithium batteries tells me from a users standpoint there is not much difference between Li-Ion and LiPo characteristics EXCEPT the physical aspects of a LiPo allow for “molding” of the individual cells into an enclosure... allowing for stuffing more cells into the same confined space (or in this case an added 8mm of space afforded by the larger battery cover). Li-ion cell’s come in a form factor slightly larger than a AA disposable. I pose this as a question also. Comments are welcome please.
Standard packs in test units have been single cell 3.7V 3600 mAH. I'd assume the extended pack is going to be single cell as well just more angry pixies stored.

I'll advise more if there's any changes to our Pilot Production Models that we should receive by week's end.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What did Uniden do to increase the usage life of the newer higher capacity battery? Add another cell? Or two cells in parallel?

There are only 2 options: either make the single cell bigger, or have 2 cells in parallel (less likely due to additional packaging overhead that would reduce capacity). Adding more cells in series would change the output voltage, which would fry the charging circuit and the scanner.

racin06

Actually, a couple of differences are that LiPO batteries are quite a bit lighter versus Li-Ion. Another difference is that LiPO batteries can withstand higher discharge currents versus Li-Ion. I fly electric RC airplanes and LiPO batteries are used to power our electric RC aircraft. I have a couple of RC airplanes in which the motor draws approximately 125 amps of current at full throttle.

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Another difference is that LiPO batteries can withstand higher discharge currents versus Li-Ion.
Can you elaborate on "withstand"? As in, more even current draw, or less chemical stress on the battery, or...? Just wondering.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Can you elaborate on "withstand"? As in, more even current draw, or less chemical stress on the battery, or...? Just wondering.

As in you can safely discharge Li-Po at rates that would cause Li-ion to overheat, catch fire, or explode.

racin06

Yes, though LiPOs have their limits as well. The formula to determine the maximum current that a LiPO battery can safely withstand is Battery Capacity x Discharge C-Rating = Maximum Continuous Discharge Rate. For example, a LiPO with a capacity of 2200mAh and a Discharge C-Rating of 40C can safely discharge continuously at 88 amps:

2200mAh x 40 = 88,000mAh

88,000mAh/1000 = 88 amps

Keep in mind, this is continuous current. LiPo batteries can actually withstand even higher currents over their continuous current rating, but only for infrequent and very short periods of time. Though if you want a LiPO to have a decent lifetime of use, the less abuse, the better.

I also forgot to mention that LiPO batteries can be charged at higher currents verses Li-Ion

Last edited:

bob-k

How can you say Uniden not the best choice!

Ok, one disappointment on the final units with final battery. I really don't like battery life (max 320 minutes). So, we'll change to a high-capacity battery (entails a new battery door and making the unit about 8mm thicker at the base...which should actually relieve those of you worried about instability).

But, we aren't going to delay first shipments. Instead, all first adopters with the "standard" battery will get a free extended battery+battery door once they are available, around August. All you'll have to do is register the scanner and we'll automatically send when ready.

Here's the notice we're putting in the box for those first units:

Thanks Paul I will register Thursday upon reciept of the Scanner! TY

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I get my sds100 tomorrow, I'll be sure to register, thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I have a PO Box listed as my mailing address with MyUniden. Will Uniden ship the extended battery to my PO Box or do I need to change it to my Physical Address?

W2SJW

Database Admin
Once you register the unit on my.uniden.com, is there anything else you need to do regarding the upgraded battery & door? I don't see anything on there after I registered the unit...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Ok, I thought there would be a confirmation regarding the battery after registration.

Going to unlock DMR & NXDN tomorrow...

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Correct name and address that is also the site where you get DMR NXDN and PROVOICE upgrades

Can you get multiple Upgrades with one credit card entry or do you have to enter your credit card for each Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.