NJ Coast Guard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I live in Union County, NJ.
I was just wondering if anybody found some interesting Coast Guard frequencies I can listen to in this area. Like Search & Rescue, Airborn Search, ect. I am just asking because there are so many freq's maybe you can cut down the list.

sfd901

Frequencies

When the plane went down in Hudson I listened to 157.050, 157.075, 157.10, 157.150..Most CG frequencies are somewhat lower power and do not use repeaters. You should be able to hear general area from PErth Amboy to maybe the Washington Bridge on the Hudson. Most likely even then you will only hear the base transmissions unless you have a good outdoor antenna

BalunKnot

Used to hear alot on 164.9125 repeater but that seems to not be used much these days. i still catch Manasquan ops occasionally from my house but USCG NY seems to be using 162.325 as their primary now and it is encrypted 95% of the time these days. Not sure if the 162.325 is a repeater or just their base stations on simplex.

DJ88

You can also program Channel 16, 156.8000 (Distress & Calling). That's the channel vessels initially contact the CG on if they have a problem or need info. The CG dispatcher will then tell them to go over to Channel 22A (157.100) for further comms.

You can also try these AM frequencies:

U.S. Coast Guard AM Frequencies
345.0000 – Primary Air Operations
237.9000 – Secondary Air Operations
282.0000 – Air Ops
383.9000 – Air Ops
326.1500 – Primary Ground Working
379.0500 – Secondary Ground Working

During a search/rescue, one or two of the air ops frequencies are active. If I remember, 345.000 is the most active during a search/rescue. Again, they're not repeaters, so I'm not sure if you'll get them or not, but you can give it a shot.

Remember, the CG isn't really too active around here this time of year as there aren't a lot of boats on the water, mostly just commercial. During the summer months, however, is an entirely different story.

Last edited:

BalunKnot

I have heard NYPD helicopters do more rescues in this area than the coast guard. NYPD has had choppers in Jersey waters to do rescues with their divers, maybe cause the CG helicopters are so far away.

DJ88

I have heard NYPD helicopters do more rescues in this area than the coast guard. NYPD has had choppers in Jersey waters to do rescues with their divers, maybe cause the CG helicopters are so far away.

Good point. A few years ago there was a bad boating accident on the Manasquan River, just west of the inlet, and a NYC PD chopper heard the activity on the radio and flew in and, I believe, made a medical transport to Jersey Shore University Medical Center (Trauma Center) in Neptune. I was monitoring the incident but don't remember what frequency I heard the chopper on, but it had to be one of the Coast Guard frequencies because I don't monitor NYC. I think I remember the pilot asking if he could be of assistance and he was given the okay to fly in to the scene.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Remember, the CG isn't really too active around here this time of year as there aren't a lot of boats on the water, mostly just commercial. During the summer months, however, is an entirely different story.

At least once a week, I see a CG Helo flying the perimeter of the Verizano Narrows and the bridge. Looks like the same MH68 Stingray when I do catch it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When I lived in Roselle I couldn't hear the USCG with an antenna atop a 3 story house so I have my doubts you'll hear them either. Here at the shore, even in summer when "benny fishing" is a popular sport there is little activity and likewise the NJSP Marine Police on the 800MHz system. Most water rescues are handled by fire departments and they're few and far between. Eh, of what little CG activity there is it's mostly routine traffic and the occasional drill.

BTW, "bennies" is what we call the summer invaders from NNJ and NYC, just a short jump to why I call it benny fishing (them out of the water).

kennyblues

At least once a week, I see a CG Helo flying the perimeter of the Verizano Narrows and the bridge. Looks like the same MH68 Stingray when I do catch it.

Most likely not a MH68 Stingray, more likely a MH65 Dolphin. The only group assigned MH68 Stingray's is the HITRON group out of Jacksonville, FL

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Wow great response, sorry I took so long to say thanks to everyone, I just got back out of hospital.
Otherwise I would have said thanks to all sooner.
I think I'll take all the freq you all supplied and put them in one test system and keep a list behind scanner. Then as summer approches I can put a check next to good ones I can receive here and then replay back to this thred so others can know for sure what can be heard in Roselle/Elizabeth area since they are mostly low power.
As for the NYPD copters doing more rescues, I'm sure. The USCG ones are probably all out on Long Island, so NYPD closer. Also I know Elizabeth and Newark do drills with FDNY fireboats because they are so close. I'll have to search for the best pd coppters freq next.
Thanks all!

DJ88

Two more for you.

Channel 9. After a vessel calls the Coast Guard on Channel 16, they will occasionally tell the captain or whoever called to go to Channel 9 for further comms.

Channel 17 (156.8500) used by the private tow boat services, like Sea Tow and the others. The Coast Guard no longer assists disabled vessels unless they are in immediate or impending danger,so the owners are required to contact one of the tow services. That frequency is the old State Marine Police VHF frequency that they used before they went over to the State Police Trunk System. I believe they still have capabilities on it, but rarely use it anymore, if at all..

BTW, hope you are well and stay well. Hopefully, no more trips to the hospital.

scannersnstuff

the uscg helo's that cover the jersey shore area are from uscg air station atlantic city. i believe, and according to the wiki, only provide dauphin <not dolphin> helicopter's. i guess the average response time to the central jersey shore is about 25-30 minutes. air station brooklyn <at floyd bennett field> is no longer in operation. the nypd does maintain it's helicopter fleet there,including air-sea rescue 14 <a bell huey,designed for water rescue>. that is why it's a bit faster to ask the nypd for assistance. it's about 10 to 15 minutes quicker. i have on rare occasions seen uscg sikorsky jayhawks,on the jersey shore.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Ch. 17

Two more for you.

Channel 9. After a vessel calls the Coast Guard on Channel 16, they will occasionally tell the captain or whoever called to go to Channel 9 for further comms.

Channel 17 (156.8500) used by the private tow boat services, like Sea Tow and the others. The Coast Guard no longer assists disabled vessels unless they are in immediate or impending danger,so the owners are required to contact one of the tow services. That frequency is the old State Marine Police VHF frequency that they used before they went over to the State Police Trunk System. I believe they still have capabilities on it, but rarely use it anymore, if at all..

BTW, hope you are well and stay well. Hopefully, no more trips to the hospital.

Channel 17 is used by the NYPD harbor units.(Harbor Charlie)..in and around the new york harbor area.. this is a regular channel for them..It is a a channel for local law enforcement units..

DannB

Premium Subscriber
NY Harbor area for example

If it happens in the new york harbor area(hudson - east river etc) it falls under local jurisdiction ie NYPD/FDNY...thats why you see the heavy Pd/Fd response first....choppers and boats .. CG is last on the scene in this area.(but yes the CG do respond).

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thanks DJ, I'll try.

Kool, this is all great info you all gathered here along with what you observed and heard. Reading this today I got an idea. This week while I'm resting I'm gonna take it all and whatever else comes in and I think I'll write it all out and make up a listing with of them along with the observations ect put them together for easy reference kinda like a chart and keep track. Then organize them. Kool this will keep me thinking. I like making little projects. I just had a thought. You know just because people like pdfdems see and hear certain ops on a channel down at the shore, its most likely that the same channel is used up here for the same type of operation, so I may not hear what he hears there but will get the same type here. I'll have to get started on this later.:cool:

Oh and DJ, SeaTow would be a great one. They are seen a lot cutting through the Arthur Kill.

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

i have to correct myself. the "dolphin" is a variant of the dauphin. air station atlantic city does use them.

i've slapped myself down to size.

germwad86

Air Ops

Over the past I'd say 4 years, while down at my summer house in Seaside, NJ at least once a week if not more than that there are 2 CG helicopters that fly over at night!! They repeatedly fly over and turn around as far north as Seaside heights then fly down about as far south as Barnegat Light. They come in very clear on 345.0000. They call each other bogey's. It's very entertaining! My best guess would be that they are practicing, for what I'm not sure. It last for about an hour when they are out. They sometimes even have their spot lights shinning down.

Status
Not open for further replies.