Nj Dep

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I think they have their own dispatchers. They also talk directly to their base/office on F2, F4 & F6.

Since we are on the subject, did you ever notice how long it takes them to read back someone's D.L. information? I can't tell you how many times I lock out F-1 because I just can't take it anymore.

elk2370bruce

Yes, NJDEP maintains their own Dispatch Center known as Trenton Dispatch. Since DEP maintains a 24/7 environmental hotline they can activate on-call people and field teams for large scale response.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
nosoup4u said:
Since we are on the subject, did you ever notice how long it takes them to read back someone's D.L. information? I can't tell you how many times I lock out F-1 because I just can't take it anymore.
Ah yes, there has been numerious occasions that i've locked them out because they'll go on for 2-3 minutes just on DL information. What ever happened to keeping communications as brief as possible and to the point? :confused:

GM

Premium Subscriber
NJ DEP Response

The reason why it takes Trenton Dispatch so long is because the repeater system goes back to the early 1980's. Coverage across the state is spotty at best, and unless you are on top of the repeater, there are plenty of times that the signal is dropped, choppy, crap, etc. It is so bad that 75% of the time, the dispatcher has to repeat the info to the receiving end because of the outdated system. Also take in the fact that the same repeater covers the entire state, with different PL's on the input (Main [1] & F/W [3]). So, if someone is talking on the Woodbine repeater in Southern NJ and another person at the same time on Belle Mountain in West-Central NJ, you are going to have squelch-drowning occur on the repeater. Also take in the fact that some of the radios used are still crystal controlled from 1985 (portables, mobiles, base units). Most had been upgraded in the early 1990's, but still unacceptable in today's standards. When I worked at Cheesequake SP, I was using a Motorola 4 channel HT440 with Ch. 5, 6, & SPEN 1 programmed in it (with a production date of 1985!).

Status
Not open for further replies.