NJ help with freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarly

Hey Guys

I just got a new scanner for X-mass. I did not take it out of the box yet. I want to program it using Freescan.
To start with just local PD and Fire, not truncked.
I have the free scan loaded but I never played with a spread sheet program.
Is there I can get a templet of what you copy from the database and where you past it???

Is there a user totoral??

Thanks
Matt

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I'll attach a Excel spreadsheet I made up for myself and you can enter the info you like. There are tabs at the bottom for both conv and trunked.
Also I use freescan also and have all of Union county pd and fire, if u want it already set up to load into freescan let me know, oh and Newark fire and FDNY.

Attachments

• My Freq Worksheet.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 105

Highpockets

Here is a FreeScan file you can fool with. Unzip it into your FreeScan Directory, run Freescan, use open command to open passic.996.

It will give you some ideas on programming. You won't be able to listen to Wayne Twp, they are digital.

Last edited:

chazcarly

Guys THANKS,
That is what I need to play with.....
steve ..........I saved the file on my comp. now what I have freescan open where is the directory??
Sorry

Highpockets

Guys THANKS,
That is what I need to play with.....
steve ..........I saved the file on my comp. now what I have freescan open where is the directory??
Sorry

I copy my Freescan files into the Freescan directory, that's where the Freescan Program is installed. If you have it copied on your computer if you know where it is, you should be able to open it with Freescan. You have to unzip it first.

chazcarly

I copy my Freescan files into the Freescan directory, that's where the Freescan Program is installed. If you have it copied on your computer if you know where it is, you should be able to open it with Freescan. You have to unzip it first.

OK!!!! I got it to open in freescan!!!!!!! I will play around and see whats what!! Trying to watch the giants and surf the web......
Thanks Steve

chazcarly

Spreadsheet Question

I'll attach a Excel spreadsheet I made up for myself and you can enter the info you like. There are tabs at the bottom for both conv and trunked.
Also I use freescan also and have all of Union county pd and fire, if u want it already set up to load into freescan let me know, oh and Newark fire and FDNY.

Thanks, I opened it up and printed it out to see what it looks like, My question is do you fill in the information and then how do you get it into freescan? copy and paste?? or are you just using the spreadsheet for reference???

Thanks
Matt

Highpockets

Thanks, I opened it up and printed it out to see what it looks like, My question is do you fill in the information and then how do you get it into freescan? copy and paste?? or are you just using the spreadsheet for reference???

Thanks
Matt

My question is, why would you fool with that when you can import all the frequencies and systems using the FreeScan Import feature (Conventional then Trunked Systems), connecting right to RadioReference, all the data will be transfered into Freescan then you just upload it to your scanner.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I just made up the spread sheet one day when I was bored. I use it just to have a hard copy of everything I need to enter the freqs in case freescan doesn't work, or if I ever get really bored and want to enter everything myself. Acually I did the spreadsheet before I found out about freescan, since then I haven't used it. If u are a prem member in RR then freescan will download and do everything for you, and as I am typing this I just remembered that my prem membership ran out, I have to re-up for a year. I also posted my freescan file for Union county and so in the NJ Program Files area of this forum up top if you want it.

chazcarly

My question is, why would you fool with that when you can import all the frequencies and systems using the FreeScan Import feature (Conventional then Trunked Systems), connecting right to RadioReference, all the data will be transfered into Freescan then you just upload it to your scanner.

Right that is what I was thinking.......

chazcarly

Did you unpack the scanner and try to program it yet?

The file I sent you is a working file, you can just upload it to your scanner and listen while you make up your own, that's if you have the programming cable.

No Im chicken...... Still going over all kinds of stuff on the Wiki..... I seem to be getting a better understanding of how it works....
All I want to do first is Set up a System with some groups of channels that are my Local PD,Vol. Fire, Vol.EMS. Where I live North J in a 10 mile circle you have aprox. 10 towns, So how would you set that up?
Group all the PD seperate from the Fire Group and EMS group???? or group them by town? PD,Fire,Ems.

Thanks
Matt

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

While that's true, that's only half the battle. You then need to understand how the various types of quick keys work, and decide how to allocate your systems, sites and talkgroup lists among them. I know that when I first got my 396, that took me some time to learn.

best regards..Mike

Highpockets

No Im chicken...... Still going over all kinds of stuff on the Wiki..... I seem to be getting a better understanding of how it works....
All I want to do first is Set up a System with some groups of channels that are my Local PD,Vol. Fire, Vol.EMS. Where I live North J in a 10 mile circle you have aprox. 10 towns, So how would you set that up?
Group all the PD seperate from the Fire Group and EMS group???? or group them by town? PD,Fire,Ems.

Thanks
Matt

If you opened the file I sent you, it's all there for the towns in your area. It's broken down by town, you'll see Police, Fire & First Aid. And if I remember correctly I also added State Police.

Do some research on system and group keys (Quick Keys) and get an understanding on what and how they work. Then as you add to that file or create your own, you'll be able to set them up the way you want.

Highpockets

While that's true, that's only half the battle. You then need to understand how the various types of quick keys work, and decide how to allocate your systems, sites and talkgroup lists among them. I know that when I first got my 396, that took me some time to learn.

best regards..Mike

I agree Mike, he has the file for his area. I sent it to him so he could see how programming looks in the software, once you see it, then you can read up on it or ask questions.

chazcarly

I agree Mike, he has the file for his area. I sent it to him so he could see how programming looks in the software, once you see it, then you can read up on it or ask questions.

Question,
Ok I loaded some towns into free scan... Clicked on say passaic county..... picked the towns with a check mark and uploaded. My question is some towns every thing came up, DPW, BOE, and other Freq. How do I delete what I dont want in that group? Do I have to use the EZ grab ?? and Hi
Light what I want and dont want??

I am getting closer to down loading into the 15 !!

chazcarly

OK!!!!!!!!!! SUCCESS
I have made a system and up loaded it into the BCT15X....It realy was not the hard to do once I saw what it looked like when you sent me the File Steve.Thanks

First prob. Display shows Scaning Alabama.......and Scaning my system ??? "LOCAL TOWNS"
How do I stop Scaning The state Alabama????
How do I turn off alert sound!!!
Thanks guys
Matt

Last edited:

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
I had that problem too with Alabama, make sure that you press the button "POL" a few times so that PL, DT, PL DT disapear.

BCT15X-1.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.