NJ ICS and Whister 1080 - help requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

madler

I just received a new Whistler 1080 and I'm unable to track NJICS from my location in NYC. I'm hoping someone with a 1080 or a PSR800 might have some ideas. Here's the situation:

- I'm certain I can receive in my location, since my BCD463HP will follow the system
- The scanner seems to receive the control channel (it shows the "T" icon, anyway) but it does not stop on any channels and does not break the squelch
- Programmed with the latest version of EZ scanner, and scanner is running latest firmware and database
- Scanner receives other conventional and P25 systems (NYC DoITT, Nassau county, Fort Lee with great decode)
- Frequencies for the W Orange site are correct - usually the strongest signal for me
- Talkgroups are programmed to a scanlist.
- I've tried programming just one site - no luck

Any obscure programming tricks or problems that anyone may be aware of? Anything else to check for? Any system or site options that might be the cause

Thanks!

bailly2

no other sites in the njics are using the same frequencies as the west orange site, it sounds like you could be getting simulcast disortion from lsm but you wouldn't be. try programming the ramapo, east rutherford, and alpine sites in different scanlists. could buy or build a yagi antenna from coat hangers to get a better signal and reduce interference

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
NJICS & Whistler 1080

Had similar problems with my new WS1080 here in Chicago Suburbs trying to get the Statewide StarCOM21 site for Cook Co 049-NWCD simulcast. I also have two cell towers 300yrds from me. My old Pro96 gets the same system *minus the TDMA talk-groups* with no problem. The WS1080 wasn't getting anything but blurts and glerbz and blattz. From time to time, it would come in with different antennas, not consistently. I thought about a 100$ Yagi from scanner master but held off. I even ran a 50ft cable TV cable with screw on BNC adapter to it, hooked up to the cable outlet in the wall *I don't have cable TV* It actually worked well except couldn't get any other frequencies but 800mhz. I fixed it by checking the County to my north that has a STARCOM21 Tower... Lake County IL* That one is actually stronger/closer to me than the Cook Co. one. I also had to turn on the Global Attenuator to beat the Cell tower interference near my home. Had to set the squelch all the way open then turn it just to where it was silent, that seemed to help when it was scanning away quietly, getting nothing. I now get everything in clear as can be, no blurts or gleeps. I heard the TDMA talk groups for the first time loud and clear, which is what I bought it for when my 9 year old Pro96 gives up. Changing to a different county/tower, using global attenuate to lessen interference helped me. I'm Liking the tone alerts and flashing lights too while learning the software which needs work in my opinion. I talked to Whistler this week and it sounds like they're fixing the Website, may have downloads for the EZSCAN software Whistler version just like GRE still has on their old site. There was a problem registering the scanner on the site last week, It went through tonight and is fixed. Hope you can solve your unique problem, the above is what I had to resort to. In the car with a window mount antenna from Universal radio Opek AM800 and AM801 Window Mounts for HT Antennas
It comes in good. I've been looking for a small BNC window mount since Radio Shack doesn't have them in the stores any more. Glad I found this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dmb41crash

In EZ Scan, make sure Frequency Options is set to NFM on the Site Frequencies tab, then make sure Trunking Tables is set to Auto Fill on the Site Options tab.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Try shutting off Rutgers university
and all DOT talkgroups.

Only use the West Orange site.

Status
Not open for further replies.