NJ man busted for interfering with FD comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
What a jerk. Wonder how they found him.

"One of the actual firefighters on the scene must have heard something that set off a trigger in his head, and thought he might know who it was,”

From the other article.

Tech792

“He was using the broadcast radio identifier 670, which is a Parsippany (Office of Emergency Management) radio identifier,”

This statement makes me wonder if the radio he was transmitting with, was sending an MDC unit ID.
Sounds like they has an idea already. Maybe an ex OEM guy or FD member, etc.
You'd be surprised how many radio users have no idea that their radio has the capability of sending the unit ID.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'd be surprised how many radio users have no idea that their radio has the capability of sending the unit ID.

I went through this with our bus fleet a few years back. One or more of the drivers were making inappropriate comments whenever a specific driver was on the radio. Their manager called me and asked if there was any way they could tell who it was. When I explained that every radio had a specific ID that matched the vehicle ID number, and showed him how to view it on his radio.
All he had to do was make an announcement that he could see who was doing it, and the issue stopped.

Dumb people don't think about these sorts of things, it never occurs to them.

NESN

The NJSP CAD system has the ability to see who is transmitting right on their dispatch screen.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Seems like a bogus arrest. I highly doubt the police used direction finding equipment. Maybe they recognized the voice?

But at any rate, having the frequency in a scanner or transmitter isn't good enough for an arrest..

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
yea but his voice is on tape they can match it

Lol..pretty sure they're not going to do a forensic analysis. Any good lawyer can have that thrown out in court. Having said that, I hope he does get charged and convicted IF guilty.

AC2OY

Ok when they say "broadcasting" this meant that he was talking over or stepping on their fire ground or operation transmissions? That's how you get get somebody killed. Many,many times I hear them scream evacuate a building. If this guy in fact was doing that it wasn't very smart on his part.

Whats grinding my gears is that this is happening more and more often,rather,Im seeing the articles reposted here on RR more often..I remember when this would occur every couple years or so. Now its becoming a weekly thing.

Sad.Its going to lead to more unmonitorable systems..

AC2OY

Whats grinding my gears is that this is happening more and more often,rather,Im seeing the articles reposted here on RR more often..I remember when this would occur every couple years or so. Now its becoming a weekly thing.

Sad.Its going to lead to more unmonitorable systems..

Horseman very well said! It's like those idiot hammers on the Ham bands all it does if make people turn off their machines like the New York City one K2QH. It's just plain stupid.

Essexscan

Ok when they say "broadcasting" this meant that he was talking over or stepping on their fire ground or operation transmissions? That's how you get get somebody killed. Many,many times I hear them scream evacuate a building. If this guy in fact was doing that it wasn't very smart on his part.

There was just such a Fire this weekend on Abington ave Blfd Fuzy. The fire went to 2nd alarm and then a Chief or commander called a Backdraft and ordered everybody out. imagine this bone head blabbing about him chomping on his Hotpocket or some babbling BS while that was happening. Here in town we have some clown playing on the public works channel late at night, Keying the radio and listening to the dead air inside his head

RayAir

This is why I like OpenSky so much. We don't have to worry about rogue radios getting in to the radio system.

No scanner, DSD software or rogue radio is capable of monitoring OpenSky transmissions.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
A couple years ago, maybe 20, I was working with an FCC Engineer from Denver on an interference problem out west. We were being 1 day and he told me how he was at a garage sale and saw an aircraft band HT for sale cheap. He bought the thing just to keep it from batting into the hands of someone unscrupulous.

With the push of police and fire departments moving to the 700 - 800 MHz systems I think it's only time that their old equipment will start showing up at flea markets, ect.

Station51

Stupid People

I will never understand how "some people" think its cool to put others lives in danger.

There was a similar incident here in Hemet California where a woman made death threats and dispupted radio traffic of CAL FIRE, Hemet Police and others.She was convicted.

Didn't phase her I guess because she did it again and then a few months later she was arrested for shining a high powered laser at a Sheriff's helicopter..

Here IS THE KICKER. She still holds a Ham radio license..

Essexscan

There's a lot of em out there Station51, some people are lonely and just like the attention but there are a few that are downright scary as to the lengths they will go to try to cause an incident and she sounds like she's near the top of the list

Oh and KMG-365

Tac-1

Lets face it the guy has a few overheated transistors in is head they should just throw him in jail so he can cool down and get his electrons flowing in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.