NJ Railroads Scanner/ Radio Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

scancrazy

Premium Subscriber
The Agency Home page for the title site lists Conrail as a "Shared Assets Operation." Ten frequencies are listed with 2 for the Metuchen Yard Operations. I live in South Plainfield, a neighboring town, which also has a Conrail Yard Operation but neither the town nor any frequency is listed here. Why? I went to the So. Pfld Yard and an employee would not talk to me about this issue. Where can I find the frequency of this Yard?

Any help would be appreciated.

transitman

Two options:

1. Adjust your squelch setting to a less sensitive level and search the railroad band.

2, Find a public parking location close to the yard and use the "close-call" or "signal stalker" capabilities (if your scanner is so equipped).

In this security conscious world, asking an employee may create issues for you.

scancrazy

Premium Subscriber
I tried option 1 and the So. Pfld yard did not list in the railroad bands.
I have a Uniden HP-1 and can't find option 2. Perhaps this feature is in the "Extreem" upgrade software available for $100. To date, don't have it..

Thanks for the words of caution too.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have a Uniden HP-1 and can't find option 2. Perhaps this feature is in the "Extreem" upgrade software available for $100. To date, don't have it..

The HP-1 does not have any Close Call features, including with the Extreme upgrade.

slapshot0017

There is no frequency for South Plainfield Yard because it really doesn't warrant it cause its so small, there is only 1 local who uses it and they barely talk. With that being said they use North Jersey's frequency so just listen to 160.860 and you should hear what ever they say. A few of the labels on this site are misleading, but they are all there. You need other sources than radio reference to confirm stuff when it comes to the railroads because they do their own thing and its not as heavily talked about as public safety or other stuff on here.

Josh

The four main Conrail frequencies are

Go anywhere along a former Conrail line and you're bound to hear activity. Usually the industrial tracks are under control of the yardmaster a local is based off of. If you find that frequency (should it be different than the four listed above) you can bet that the local to South Plainfield is on that for switching ops.

scancrazy

Premium Subscriber
I did find a freq. for the South Plainfield Yard on Broadcastify as 160.9350. Conrail, being a shared asset, the North/South Jersey Dispatchers might use it but the listing shows them to be using the 160.8600 also as KD2BRR posted.

I'll just keep listening and hope to hear something. Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.