NJ State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
Looking for some help from you jersey guys. I use the NJ Turnpike [95] 3-4 times a year to visit VA NC ect. I just want to monitor the NJSP activity on the Tpke for accidents, delays ect. What are the TG/s and zones/frequencies I have to use? Not interested in anything else off the Tpke. As for the Delaware memorial bridge I see there are 3 districts which are probably the Jersey side, the Delaware side & the bridge itself. Do I need all of them? TY for any assistance.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Turnpike is split up into 3 sectors (north, central, south). There are 3 dispatch talkgroups under the “toll road” category which list which talkgroups are for the turnpike. Program all 3 for listening, but make sure to load all 3 simulcast cells when you program your scanner.

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
TY. Just to double-tap; if i want to break the NJSP toll rd ops into 3 different fav groups i can program hem separately; i.e. North Tpke grp using the North simulcast grp/South/central i can do that correct? Any info about the districts for the Delaware Memorial Bridge or the NJICS 700 system?

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the RR NJSP info into my HP-2. Checked the site tab & saw that the RR only downloaded the 4 control channels from each simulcast cell. Is this enough to monitor the system or do I need all the freq's?

mondaro

Feed Provider
3 Sections
NJSP Patrols - Newark Station - GW Bridge to 13A - 800 Mhz TG - 27084 / NJPIC TG - 1689
- Cranbury Station - 13A to 8A 800 Mhz TG - 53264 / NJPIC TG - 3327
- Moorestown Station - 8A to Delaware Memorial Bridge 800 Mhz TG - 26992 / NJPIC TG - 1687

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
For the Delaware Memorial Bridge, you can pickup the DRBA Police on State of Delaware New Castle County Simulcast.

Solidjake

Sorry for the thread bump.

Regarding the Turnpike patrol, I have their 800mhz system info programmed into my 436HP with no issues. I just learned about the NJICS and I loaded that up into an SDS100 and picked up four transmissions this morning that the normal 800mhz frequencies didn't broadcast.

To listen to them all it would be just adding all of the NJICS repeaters and the TGIDs into the same bank that I have the 800mhz frequencies?

Thanks.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
To listen to them all it would be just adding all of the NJICS repeaters and the TGIDs into the same bank that I have the 800mhz frequencies?
Unless something changed since my last visit to NJ a few weeks ago, all of the NJSP Troop A, B, C, and D comms are on the 800mHz NJSP system and some talkgroups are patched some of the time to some of the NJICS sites. The Cape May Simulcast repeats the Southern Zone of the Parkway and Troop A 3COMM all of the time, Troop A 4COMM much of the time and Troop A 5 COMM rarely. There are a number of reasons you might have heard a transmission on the NJICS and not on the NJSP even though it was broadcast on both systems. Perhaps the NJICS site was broadcasting 2 zones of the Turnpike while the NJSP just one.

I would just stick with the 800 NJSP system for the Turnpike unless there is a particular area with better reception of the NJICS than the NJSP AND the NJICS does indeed repeat the 800mHz NJSP talkgroup.

You do not want to put all of the NJICS into any bank because your scanner will continually sample every control channel for a signal which will cause you to miss many transmissions. If you do want to use the NJICS to monitor the Turnpike enter only the control channel of the sites or sites that broadcast the Turnpike talkgroups.

You could set up a NJSP Turnpike Favorite List with 2 systems, one being the NJSP 800 system and the other being the NJICS system. Enter the Talkgroups of interest in each system. Scan both systems and you can determine which has better reception.

I don't think it is feasible to put control channels and talkgroups for the NJICS 700 and the NJSP 800 into the same scanner system because they are two different types of trunked system. When you enter a new system in the Uniden scanner like the SDS the first question you must answer is whether it is P25 Trunk, or Motorola, etc. There is no option for P25 Trunk AND Motorola, but if you do give it a try please let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

Solidjake

@mshumeyk Greatly appreciated! Thanks for the detailed reply.

I put in the regular and ICS frequencies separate and did some testing today in the car. For the 436 I used a Larsen 3db gain 800mhz antenna and for the 100 I used a Laird 3db gain 700/800mhz antenna.

Testing done in my garage with the garage door open. Some time this week I will try to park along the highway near the I295 and Turnpike

I295 800mhz
- 100 missed one

I295 ICS
- 436 missed three
- 100 missed one

Tpke 800mhz
- 100 missed two (one 15 seconds transmission, other 5 seconds)

Tpke ICS
- One tie (436 two bars, 100 full bars)
- 436 3 seconds slow to pick up

I295 both mixed
- Two ties
- 100 missed two (one on ICS, other on 800mhz)

Will continue more testing tomorrow/this week

Solidjake

This morning had both on the 800mhz frequencies for the Turnpike. SDS missed 5 transmissions all of which were 5+ seconds. Same 2 seconds, 400ms, squelch 12 on both scanners. SDS on auto filter. This afternoon I will try wide invert and then the other settings throughout the week. SDS did have one transmission first for 2-3 seconds before the 436.

joemoor

Feed Provider
My 2 cents.

I live in Sussex county (2-COMM) and have noticed that the NJICS "patch" will be active at times as subscriber units associate. I'm also noticing that either some portable or mobile units are primarily using NJICS vs the 800 Smartzone system. You can tell from the digital sound and breakup when they don't get good coverage (very common up here).
I've also monitored both channels side by side and you can tell which system they are on by the encoding delay both ways.

Could NJSP be equipping troopers and new troop cars with P25 portable/mobile radios as a means of future migration? The 800 system coverage has been "Deficient' up here since inception and many times troops need to 29 as their radios do not work. The 700 system has more sites Walpack/High Point/Hamburg(eventually???) and "should" provide better coverage.

Joe / N2JGM

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
My 2 cents.

I live in Sussex county (2-COMM) and have noticed that the NJICS "patch" will be active at times as subscriber units associate. I'm also noticing that either some portable or mobile units are primarily using NJICS vs the 800 Smartzone system. You can tell from the digital sound and breakup when they don't get good coverage (very common up here).
I've also monitored both channels side by side and you can tell which system they are on by the encoding delay both ways.

Could NJSP be equipping troopers and new troop cars with P25 portable/mobile radios as a means of future migration? The 800 system coverage has been "Deficient' up here since inception and many times troops need to 29 as their radios do not work. The 700 system has more sites Walpack/High Point/Hamburg(eventually???) and "should" provide better coverage.

Joe / N2JGM
The Sussex patrols cut over from the analog SmartZone system to the ASTRO 25 system over a year ago. 95% or better of Sussex units are on the ASTRO 25 system natively by this point, so it's not a future migration but rather an ongoing migration that started some time ago and continues today.

The Walpack site carries more 2-Comm traffic than the High Point site, simply because there are times when no subscribers are affiliated with the talkgroup at High Point.

The only operational sites in Sussex County are High Point and Walpack, which is true for both systems and has been for years. Hamburg is not yet operational on the ASTRO 25 system, so it's a non-factor. What does benefit some Sussex patrols in the eastern part of the county is the ASTRO 25 site at Bowling Green, which does not have a counterpart SmartZone North cell subsite at that location.

Here are some unofficial stats for the month of March at the three aforementioned ASTRO 25 sites. The numbers are total PTT's and affiliations at each site on the four main NJSP Troop B talkgroups. Note that if subscribers are affiliated at all three sites at any given point in time, the PTT counter is going to increment by 1 for each site regardless of which site is actually receiving the inbound transmission.

1648589555666.png

Last edited:

joemoor

Feed Provider
Thanks so much for the info! Makes perfect sense as I live just down the street from the HP site so I was locking out the others. Can receive Walpack and Bowling Green well so added them and will see what I get. I wanted to switch my feed over from the weak Analog system (multipath problems etc) to digital but noticed the lack of association with HP. Makes sense that since many units are central to the county they would associate with Walpack more frequently.

Thanks again.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Thanks so much for the info! Makes perfect sense as I live just down the street from the HP site so I was locking out the others. Can receive Walpack and Bowling Green well so added them and will see what I get. I wanted to switch my feed over from the weak Analog system (multipath problems etc) to digital but noticed the lack of association with HP. Makes sense that since many units are central to the county they would associate with Walpack more frequently.

Thanks again.
Yeah if you receive Walpack well, I would definitely make that the primary site for listening to 2-Comm, otherwise you're going to miss some activity that isn't always carried on High Point.

The plan is/was to combine High Point and Walpack along with Hamburg to create a countywide simulcast cell. So far that hasn't happened, so we'll see what the future holds. Word on the street is that the state isn't going to be doing much site work until the new ASTRO 25 core comes online in late summer/early fall. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.