NJ Transit PD - 160.830

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
railtrailbiker said:
I'm hearing new digital unit identifiers. Anyone know what's going on?

Are you using the PL on the output. You may be hearing the "tone" that shuts off the towers. NJ Transit has a different setup than most PD's.

SCPD

QRT
nosoup4u said:
Do you mean that funky identifier that they use after each transmission?

I don't know how to describe it, but I was told by the guy who works on it that it's a "signal" to turn off the numerous transmitters off. If you have the PL programmed on the output you don't hear it.

robbinsj2

What I've heard, off the Plainsboro tower, is only just before the repeater de-keys, not after the end of each mobile/portable transmission. Often I can hear the last mobile's signal drop out well before (0.5-1s) that noise.

Also, I thought I've heard that noise coming through my PL squelch. That's why I usually lock out that channel. This is on radios which are usually pretty responsive to changing PLs in the middle of reception.

Jim

SCPD

QRT
robbinsj2 said:
What I've heard, off the Plainsboro tower, is only just before the repeater de-keys, not after the end of each mobile/portable transmission.
Jim

Correct. Now that I think about it, it is or almost sounds like a "data squeal". That's the only way I know how to describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.