NJ Trunking Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjcusick

Today I purchased a RadioShack Pro-433 Scanner. I'm having trouble setting up my local Police/Fire/EMS frequencies on it. (Somerset County, NJ). The database says its a Motorola II Smartzone system "Simulcast". When I try to enter the frequencies under E2-800, if says error. When I enter them under E2-UHF they are saved into the bank, but I don't hear anything. I trying switching back to E2-800 after entering the frequencies and switch it to Control Channel only, but that still doesn't work. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks!

-Rob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If we're talking about the system below (anything in blue is a link)

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1318

then it looks like the system is up and running. The PRO-433 won't be able to handle any of the digital talkgroups (there are only a few), but it looks like the majority of the system is analog.

This system looks to be a little tricky since you need to program this as a UHF system (as stated) with 3 offsets for the primary system, and a different set of freqs and offsets for the Franklin system (which must go into another bank). Personally I'd get ARC433 from BuTel (through Scanner Master) and a paid subscription (as shown here)...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/subscription/

which would likely make your job a little easier, since you can download data from the database into the editor and from there, to the scanner. You would need to set up the offsets in the software. There should be a page or option for that, once you select the UHF trunking type.

73 Mike

Last edited:

robbinsj2

ka3jjz said:
If we're talking about the system below (anything in blue is a link)

73 Mike

I have just a few bits to add to that:

1) Almost everything, including all the routinely-used talkgroups, on the Franklin system is digital so you may not want to bother programming that system into an analog-only scanner.

2) Reference the three sets of data under Custom Frequency Table. You will need to follow the directions in your manual (sorry, I don't know the 433 to tell you myself) or use software to program those three in. The comparable data for the Franklin system is listed at the bottom of the Misc. System Information area.

3) The system is most definitely active and has plenty of analog action to listen to, with more departments and users switching over every month it seems.

4) If it seems that you followed all the directions to program the system, check to make sure that you are in "search" or "open" mode, which enables you to hear all talkgroups. If you are in "scan" or "closed" mode then you will only hear talkgroups which are programmed in and are unlocked. Alternately, go ahead and program in all the talkgroups you are interested in, though that gets pretty labor intensive if you're not using software.

Good luck,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.