NJ V-TAC Query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am quite aware that U & I Tac frequencies are used here in NNJ and quite often depending on the event these frequencies are cross patched for better interoperability.
However, I was wondering has any one monitored any activity on V-TAC frequencies? I see some NJ agencies are even licensed on these frequencies. As you know these frequencies can be used as repeater or simplex, However, they are narrow band FM, used as simplex, low power, perhaps used as Fire-ground or TAC ch.s and thus one would have to be very close and / or have a very good "gain" antenna to pick up activity.:confused:

Thanks and please post here if you have monitored activity:D.

Last edited:

AlexC

Database Admin
I wouldn't expect to see them used much out side of a large event or multi-juristictional response.

I know for the 4th of July fireworks two V-TAC's were tied together as a repeater pair for an agency for waterfront operations.

For the most part, no one is building infrastructure out on V-TAC's. There are several command post vehicles and UASI trucks with IRCI boxes which can create patches between VHF VTAC's and the I/U tac infrastructure.

Another main reason is that there are not "pairs" of V-Tac channels. So it's hard for people to pre-program V-Tac repeater pairs in advance of a large incident. Obviously events like July 4th, parades, etc, one could build a repeater and pre-program configurations.

-Alex

SCPD

QRT
NJ & V, U & I Tacs

I have done some further research on this. According to the FCC data base the State of NJ has at least two licenses covering V-TAC frequencies. They are listed under what I see are two relatively new entities within state government. State of New Jersey Office of Public Safety Communications and State of New Jersey Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness. Their license information allows them many configurations i.e., Repeater, Fixed, Mobile, LP Power, Temporary Repeater etc. Also according to their FRN number this flexibility extends to other licenses especially the UHF 400MHz U-TAC and 800 MHz I-TAC frequencies. So these agencies "on paper" seem ready to set up in any configuration as the need requires.

As for the Nationwide Interop Frequencies for U-TAC and I-TAC the emissions allowed are standard FM or NFM analog.

However, in particular (statewide specific) or NJ UHF 400MHz U-TAC and 800 MHz I-TAC frequencies. NJUTAC 4 through 8 and NJ I-TAC 5 & 6 do allow for digital communications i.e. P25 (including encryption).:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.