NJICS and the G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Is there any anticipation in NJ for the Unication G5 when...and if....it goes "Phase II"?

From what I've read, it's "the" radio for systems like NJICS.

But it is a BIG expenditure.

From what we know so far, are there any limitations in the G5 (besides the price) vis-a-vis NJICS, or will it be the answer of a lot of prayers?

Have we heard any ETA on the "Phase II"?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
No update yet on Phase II other than "they are working on it and it is a priority for them." I have used the G5 in the NJICS to listen to FDMA talkgroups, primarily NJSP B2-4 off the West Orange Simulcast. With the stock stubby antenna, I started monitoring at the NY/NJ State line in Mahwah from the Thruway/287. Heard them no problem all the way down 287 into Morris County, down 24 to 78 into Newark and back. Mind you, there are other sites available that could have given me a better signal along the way (Alpine, Ramapo, Randolph), but that talkgroup is carried full time over West Orange and only by affiliation on the other sites. As a test I also put in those sites above and it switched seemlessly from the RSSI sampling. Mind you traffic was limited, but I could see the sites change on the display. I also used to to monitor Morris County's P25 Phase I system. Now the G5 used the INTERNAL loop antenna for UHF, not external like the 7/800. Pretty much full bars all over Morris County still. Outside the County going back 287 North I lost them around the bend in Franklin Lakes (Bergen County). What you have to remember is on VHF or UHF, you are limited by that internal loop antenna but I was impressed with the countywide coverage I had. Its not perfect feature wise and I've put together a thread wish list that myself and others would like to see. But for issues with LSM this is your fix until Uniden and Whistler step up to the plate. What pisses me off is of they addressed the LSM issues, I would spend MORE than what I paid for the G5 just because of the added features of something like the TRX-2 or 536. But off my soapbox and looking forward to Phase II support hopefully soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph11

From what I've read here, NJSP is supposed to remain Phase I and convert their current Type II system to a P25 system on the same frequencies. All newer users of NJICS, however, should be Phase II.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for good replies!

BTW...is Newark Fire Phase I or II?

I haven't paid too much attention to who was what "Phase" until the reviews of the G5 radio came out. I've been pooling my "resources" ($$$) in anticipation of the Phase II, and I'm trying to keep on top of it all.

Thanks again!

slapshot0017

Unication has really changed the game for trunking monitoring. These pagers act like subscriber radios do correct? I might have to dump my uniden and grab one of these when they finally get phase 2 in them. The compactness and durability is also such a huge factor.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
"Unication has really changed the game for trunking monitoring"

I agree.

Unlike the Uniden, etc, radios, this G5 was built with the active first responder in mind. Those other radios are geared towards...and were designed by....people who are interested in the radio concept itself, what it can receive, and the tech of it all. Those radios were not designed to be monitored "on the fly," so to speak, requiring touch-screen for just about everything, and having to look at the screen to do anything (and God forbid you make a mistake!). Not really useful for the active Vol. Fireman or EMT trying to get to their quarters or to a job without themselves getting into an accident.

Looking forward to the Phase II G5......!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
BTW...is Newark Fire Phase I or II?

I haven't paid too much attention to who was what "Phase" until the reviews of the G5 radio came out.

Look at the Mode column in the database. D indicates FDMA (Phase I), T indicates TDMA (Phase II)

I literally just saw an ad yesterday about the G5. So It's pretty much my first time hearing about it, and I'm already in love with the thing. I think once they get around to add Phase II capabilities, I'll be picking one up.

A bit pricey, but I think it will be worth it. Especially being able to listen like a subscriber, except without all the legal issues, and being caught affiliating with a system you shouldn't be on. Haha.

W2SJW

Database Admin
From what I've read here, NJSP is supposed to remain Phase I and convert their current Type II system to a P25 system on the same frequencies. All newer users of NJICS, however, should be Phase II.

Nope. Infrastructure will go direct Phase-II capable. What mode actually gets used will be wholly dependent on the model of subscriber units still issued in the field.

The repeaters will be the same GTR8000 units used on the NJICS.

Joseph11

Got it. I know you posted something about that months ago but I never saw that you updated the post until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.