NJICS RT 287 North

chazcarly

So, in changing everything I had programed over to the new NJICS and using Passaic County Simulcast for the sites, and Troop B North, 2,3,4,5 Comm all programed. The only cars I'm hearing are on 4 Comm TG#2235 on RT 80. With the old P25 system I always heard cars on RT 287 in Riverdale, Oakland.
What don't I have programed right? Anybody have a different TG ID for me.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I believe we already covered this last month when you asked in another thread. You are only going to hear the talkgroups that are carried on the NJICS site(s) you're scanning. As I said previously, this is no longer one huge simulcast that covers every county in northern NJ like the old system was (which was not a P25 system, by the way).

So, in changing everything I had programed over to the new NJICS and using Passaic County Simulcast for the sites, and Troop B North, 2,3,4,5 Comm all programed. The only cars I'm hearing are on 4 Comm TG#2235 on RT 80. With the old P25 system I always heard cars on RT 287 in Riverdale, Oakland.
What don't I have programed right? Anybody have a different TG ID for me.
Are you able to hear the NJICS West Orange Simulcast from your location? If so, I'm curious to know if you're hearing any TG#2235 traffic on there. While it would certainly make sense that Troop B cars on Route 287 in Riverdale would be voting to Ramapo or Little Falls, perhaps West Orange or Livingston are stronger along there.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Since 4-Comm covers that 287 path north from 80, you'll hear them just fine on the Site 1 simulcast or the Site 17 simulcast. Never an issue hearing them on both sites. BUT, as @GTR8000 posted, it aint a huge half a State flamethrower anymore. So Somerville and Perryville cars will hit Site 1 but not 17 for 5-Comm unless someone parks their radio on that talkgroup on that cell. They just don't patrol up that way where their radios will roam over. Same with 2 and 3 Comm, too West for the most part where other sites will cover better.

...and FYI, that 287 north car has a huge coverage area to Patrol, so he may be sitting south in Parsippany so he can hop on 80 or 280 for coverage where he would be on Site 1 so 17 would be a little slower.

Last edited:

NParkNJ

On the Road
@chazcarly living in the same town, I can tell you with pretty good certainty, they do appear on their TG. Depending when they listen could just be slow. But they do absolutely show up on Ramapo. Not to take this too far off topic, but regularly showing up as of my listening lately should be: Oakland, PCSO, PCJ, 4-comm, NJ park police, NJTPD mostly encrypted, PIPPD, to name a few.

strk3seeya

Premium Subscriber
I'm out west in Roxbury. I can pick these up for 2,3,4,5, com off these sites. I wish I could get the west orange simulcast but unfortunately no luck. I am running the SDS 100 with a Larsen mobile antenna on the second floor roof.

2233770.193750-115NJSP DispatchNFM42200:00:0001/11/23 19:30:4701/16/23 08:23:27New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) / Hunterdon SimulcastTroop B (North) Patrol OperationsHope/Washington Units NJSP 3 Comm UnitsP25 TrunkPT0Law Dispatch - -
2233770.468750-89NJSP DispatchNFM42000:37:4801/11/23 18:46:1501/16/23 08:17:39New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) / WashingtonTroop B (North) Patrol OperationsHope/Washington Units NJSP 3 Comm UnitsP25 TrunkPT1Law Dispatch - -
2235773.531250-75NJSP 4 Comm DispatchNFM28500:29:0701/11/23 18:49:3701/16/23 08:23:50New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) / NetcongTroop B (North) Patrol OperationsNetcong/Totowa Units NJSP 4 Comm UnitsP25 TrunkPT0Law Dispatch - -
2237770.468750-6099539NFM26600:15:5101/11/23 19:47:4801/16/23 08:24:20New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) / WashingtonTroop B (North) Patrol OperationsSomerville Units NJSP 5 Comm UnitsP25 TrunkPT1Law Dispatch - -

chazcarly

I believe we already covered this last month when you asked in another thread. You are only going to hear the talkgroups that are carried on the NJICS site(s) you're scanning. As I said previously, this is no longer one huge simulcast that covers every county in northern NJ like the old system was (which was not a P25 system, by the way).
Totally understand that but I don't understand why I hear a car sign out on RT 57 in Washington township, in my office in Riverdale, 55 miles away and not one car up on 287, 200 yards away. I was thinking something is not programed correctly.
I was thinking they were on a different site.
Thank You.

chazcarly

Are you able to hear the NJICS West Orange Simulcast from your location? If so, I'm curious to know if you're hearing any TG#2235 traffic on there. While it would certainly make sense that Troop B cars on Route 287 in Riverdale would be voting to Ramapo or Little Falls, perhaps West Orange or Livingston are stronger along there.
I will try the West Orange, but it might be a little too far, I do hear cars on TG 2235 on Passaic County Simulcast but not up on 287, more on RT 80.

chazcarly

Since 4-Comm covers that 287 path north from 80, you'll hear them just fine on the Site 1 simulcast or the Site 17 simulcast. Never an issue hearing them on both sites. BUT, as @GTR8000 posted, it aint a huge half a State flamethrower anymore. So Somerville and Perryville cars will hit Site 1 but not 17 for 5-Comm unless someone parks their radio on that talkgroup on that cell. They just don't patrol up that way where their radios will roam over. Same with 2 and 3 Comm, too West for the most part where other sites will cover better.

...and FYI, that 287 north car has a huge coverage area to Patrol, so he may be sitting south in Parsippany so he can hop on 80 or 280 for coverage where he would be on Site 1 so 17 would be a little slower.
Thank You !! I'm going to play around with the sites.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Totally understand that but I don't understand why I hear a car sign out on RT 57 in Washington township, in my office in Riverdale, 55 miles away and not one car up on 287, 200 yards away. I was thinking something is not programed correctly.
I was thinking they were on a different site.
Thank You.
It’s all about affiliations. Hard to say exactly when/where a radio affiliates. I obviously have no inside knowledge so completely going off of what I monitor….

4-comm does cover 287 north, and route 80. And a bunch of other territory. It could be the same TG, but where a car/radio is at anytime could vary wildly.

There are sometimes where I hear SP up in the area of 287 sometimes for hours on end(stops, accidents, responding), and sometimes they’re out on 80 doing stops.
Unlike the old smartzone system, you won’t hear all the traffic all the time all over anymore.

The radio when it’s in a certain range of a site(assuming it’s allowed there), affiliates and broadcasts the traffic assuming it’s on that Talkgroup. My explanation may be a bit off, but I’d suggest for starters looking at the coverage area of Passaic County simulcast to get a general idea of what agencies show up, and roughly what area they cover.

Again, I have no definitive proof or understanding why it’s that way, or how it’s even decided, just my observations from listening.

chazcarly

It’s all about affiliations. Hard to say exactly when/where a radio affiliates. I obviously have no inside knowledge so completely going off of what I monitor….

4-comm does cover 287 north, and route 80. And a bunch of other territory. It could be the same TG, but where a car/radio is at anytime could vary wildly.

There are sometimes where I hear SP up in the area of 287 sometimes for hours on end(stops, accidents, responding), and sometimes they’re out on 80 doing stops.
Unlike the old smartzone system, you won’t hear all the traffic all the time all over anymore.

The radio when it’s in a certain range of a site(assuming it’s allowed there), affiliates and broadcasts the traffic assuming it’s on that Talkgroup. My explanation may be a bit off, but I’d suggest for starters looking at the coverage area of Passaic County simulcast to get a general idea of what agencies show up, and roughly what area they cover.

Again, I have no definitive proof or understanding why it’s that way, or how it’s even decided, just my observations from listening.
Thanks for explaining.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Anybody miss the old system yet?

No way. Not as of writing this. When I first got into scanning like 5-6 years ago, I liked the SP 800 system for the fact I used it as learning tool: completely new to scanning, especially trunking. So it was cool to learn on it/observe what trunking looked/sounded like on my old BCT-8.

HOWEVER.... as time went on, and especially within the last 2 years, it seems to me the system started sounding really bad. The audio sounded bad(not the patches from NJICS), just the volume/sound overall. And, the strength seems to have just died down to the point I could barely pick it up(I have a site in my town). Previously, it would boom out for me, all over north jersey(especially when I was mobile), especially up my way(Passaic/Morris/Bergen).

The good, there is definitely a few. First, and most obvious, you could have a nice cheap scanner and listen to basically the entire state(analog stuff especially). That was always a plus for me, especially when I was new to this game. I couldn't afford a Phase 2 scanner back then, or for that matter even a Phase 1(at the time and until just recently the TG's were all "D" mode). I had probably 2-3 analog scanners and could pick and choose what I wanted to listen to/avoid. Not anymore. I have my analog scanners, but I keep them for other things now. Everything minus medevac and I guess marine patrol and a few left, but the rest are all on NJICS in "T" mode.

The other huge positive, was it was "truly simulcast." I remember almost 4 years ago I drove all the way down to monmouth county for a conference, and wanted to hear only the parkway, as thats what I took. I took the parkway all the way from NY State>down. I had coverage with just the north simulcast system on(OmniLink anyone?) the entire trip. An hour and a half trip and I didn't have to touch a single button once....seems its what dreams are made of now a days.....

Nothing compares to the audio quality of the NJICS, and I don't even have a professional radio(APX, etc). I have been monitoring on my 325p2/996p2 on Passaic county simulcast, and when the conditions are right for the Control channel to have a consistently good lock, the audio is worlds better than the 800 system.

The upsetting thing will be for sure when this system is finally shut off(If it isn't already. I stopped monitoring it awhile ago)...The 800 system was one of the very first things I monitored, so nostalgia factor. Not to mention probably you and many others here who monitored the original 800 system when it was all separate before the OmniLink conversion/merge. Definitely a historic part of the history of this state, especially for us scanner users. RIP soon ol' 800. For you/those interested I have a video clip(which I can convert to audio) of the 800 system in failsoft at the end of summer 2022.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
My ears enjoy the total eradication of high speed doppler shift or “picket fencing” from the cars. Something about decades of that you don’t notice. After the switch to NJICS P25 LSM the silence is deafening to me. 😁