NJSP 800 MHz sigs weak

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2IRT

Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my setup for the NJSP 800MHz system.

I'm in West Caldwell, trying to listen to 4-COMM and other T/Gs from Troop B. I have the North Simulcast system programmed into my 996xt and my 996p2. Both are fed off a discone up at 40', and both scanners seem to be otherwise receiving OK. I am occasionally having difficulty finding the control channel for the NJSP, but even when I do and I'm hearing audio, readability is generally very low and signals are far from full quieting. As of this writing, I'm receiving the control channel on 859.9625 with only the first signal bar flashing.

I'm under the impression that one of the sites is in Montclair, which should be absolutely full quieting to me. Can anybody shed any light on what could be happening here? This is unexpected.

Also, at this point is most of the activity from Troop B being simulcast on the NJICS system? I know when I listened a year or so back only a small portion of the 800 MHz 4-COMM transmissions were coming through NJICS, but just listening today I'm hearing everything (at least in the 2-hour window I've been monitoring). For comparison, I'm using TG numbers 2235 (NJICS) and 35760 (800 MHz). Thanks in advance.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The first thing I would do is slap one of the original back-of-set telescoping antennas onto the scanners, and see what the reception is with that. You may have to vary the length to "tune" it to 800 MHz, generally leave it fully collapsed with many half of a section extended above the base section for 700-800 MHz.

Discone antennas are not the most efficient at 800 MHz, and you could have considerable loss in 40' of coax if you're not using something like LMR400, plus the loss from whatever multicoupler/splitter you're using with both scanners fed off the same antenna.

W2IRT

The feedline isn't great at UHF (RG-213), but for a 55 foot run it shouldn't be that bad. And besides, the 700 mHz NJICS system is full quieting, from a transmitter several miles further away.

I will be replacing the feedline with Comscope LMR-400 equivalent so that should help, but the concern is that the system I'm trying to receive is transmitting less than 5 miles line of sight from me. A BCD-396 handheld can barely receive the control channel as well.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The 396 not receiving the signal well with a rubber ducky is troubling also, and makes me wonder if the local subsite is offline or having issues. If the closest 700 MHz site is high RSSI, then so should the closest 800 MHz site.

You may want to take a ride around with the 396 to get a better sense of the signal on 800 in the area.

NParkNJ

On the Road
I’ll check it out tomorrow. I have my BCT15X in my car with my wide-band magnet mount up on the roof. I’ll check it locally(in town), and I’ll drive around the area.

It always gets the North Simulcast exceptionally well all over the area. Ramapo site is right in town too(Ringwood).

As for NJICS. I’ve noticed Troop B carried on West Orange, when I’m mobile and in range of it. When I had my 396xt as long as I was in range, I usually picked them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdsxfire

EDBM
Wondering if anyone had any other problems, I’m having issues locking the CC lately, scanner will slow when it hits the CC but not actually stop and ID scan just buzzed on past it. If it put the scanner in conventional mode I can hear the traffic and the control channel data. Any ideas

W2IRT

They seem to be a bit stronger now, I'm getting CC lock and 3 to 5 "bars" in West Caldwell, but the received signals are still not full quieting on the 800 MHz system.

mdsxfire

EDBM
They seem to be a bit stronger now, I'm getting CC lock and 3 to 5 "bars" in West Caldwell, but the received signals are still not full quieting on the 800 MHz system.

I was wondering if it was the scanner I use to monitor them (Bc780xlt) was having trouble decoding maybe it was on its way out but the EDACS system I monitor is working fine so IDK

Status
Not open for further replies.