NJSP 800MHz SmartZone Omnilink Type II System

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Since all the other threads are dead, figured I'd start a new one.

A check of B11E-52 Bedminster IR tonight by a buff resulted in confirming it's move from the DOT yard to the Vollers tower on Old Stagecoach Road in Pluckemin, co-located with the NJSP Pluckemin ASR. There has also been a change in frequencies. Everything has been submitted.

The other IR's should probably be checked with Unitrunker for changes that have been overlooked since the NJICS began taking everyone's attention, and Easton IR's location needs to be finally properly listed after all these years. It's definitely not on the peak of a 19th century Victorian home.

Last edited:

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Since all the other threads are dead, figured I'd start a new one.

A check of B11E-52 Bedminster IR tonight by a buff resulted in confirming it's move from the DOT yard to the Vollers tower on Old Stagecoach Road in Pluckemin, co-located with the NJSP Pluckemin ASR. There has also been a change in frequencies. Everything has been submitted.

The other IR's should probably be checked with Unitrunker for changes that have been overlooked since the NJICS began taking everyone's attention, and Easton IR's location needs to be finally properly listed after all these years. It's definitely not on the peak of a 19th century Victorian home.
College Hill (aka Easton) is surely not on a Victorian Home. But it is on a monopole right down the road from a water tank on Paxinosa...

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
College Hill (aka Easton) is surely not on a Victorian Home. But it is on a monopole right down the road from a water tank on Paxinosa...

Definitely not. But this has been it's location listing in the database for as long as I can remember...

1598225043500.png

RadioNerd90

Deactivated
I let Unitrunker go wild for a couple hours on the Wildwood IR while we were working. It doesn't look like anything has changed, but there wasn't any activity on it the whole time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A1-04 and A1-14 GSP South were both using the ICS and South Simulcast. And there were Troop cars out in Wildwood, so they should have been at least affiliating.

The license is expired too.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I let Unitrunker go wild for a couple hours on the Wildwood IR while we were working. It doesn't look like anything has changed, but there wasn't any activity on it the whole time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A1-04 and A1-14 GSP South were both using the ICS and South Simulcast. And there were Troop cars out in Wildwood, so they should have been at least affiliating.

The license is expired too.

Just submitted your updates for you. All good bro...

RadioNerd90

Deactivated
Confirmed just now that the Franklin IR has been integrated into the North Simulcast. RSSI in the mid to low -30s by the tower, and the IR frequencies have been reassigned to Pluckeman 700 and Bedminster IR.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed just now that the Franklin IR has been integrated into the North Simulcast. RSSI in the mid to low -30s by the tower, and the IR frequencies have been reassigned to Pluckeman 700 and Bedminster IR.

So what do you have left on the Unitrunker road trip list?

Buena IR
Port Elizabeth IR
ACY IR
Millville IR
West Trenton IR
Site 44 IR (definitely not Franklin)

Correct?

RadioNerd90

Deactivated
NJANG active on Channel 12 - 28944. PMCR control and other units going back and forth about attempting to get HF rigs working on 4.835MHz with a 3kHz channel. Probably LSB.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
The Port Elizabeth IR and Millville IR have been reevaluated with Unitrunker and updates have been submitted. These were the last two sites needed a check-up. The system should now be entirely up to date.

Reactions: GM

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I remember reading in an older thread regarding this system that it underwent hardware updates and it would be going Phase I or II. Any truth to that?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I remember reading in an older thread regarding this system that it underwent hardware updates and it would be going Phase I or II. Any truth to that?
While @RadioDitch is technically correct that the SmartZone system is capable of using the P25 CAI (aka P25 voice) on selective digital talkgroups, that's nothing new and predates the hardware upgrades. The old Quantar repeaters were also capable of P25, and those two dozen or so digital talkgroups have been around for years.

I suspect you're asking whether or not the SmartZone system will eventually be upgraded to an ASTRO 25 system like the NJICS. That remains to be seen. Last we heard a number of years ago the Quantar repeaters were upgraded to GTR 8000 repeaters, however there hasn't been any word since on what the ultimate fate of the SmartZone system is.

W2SJW

Database Admin
It's all based on funding availability at this point. Yes, the repeaters were upgraded to 8000's & the P25 core is running the Type-II system via Smart-X converters.

I asked this question last week to one of my friends at /\/\, and he told me the transition would most definitely be done in multiple phases, as every single subscriber unit would have to be confirmed compatible before the switch (not everyone has APX units yet). It will go direct to Phase-II. It's going to be a mammoth undertaking, as it's not like one of his recent projects in Montgomery County, PA (they built their new 700 system isolated from the 800 Type-II).

This is the equivalent metaphor of 'performing major brain surgery while the patient is still awake'... :cool:

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Since its October...I pulled out my dusty crystal ball....It told me that we should expect to see the 800 analog slowly fading away by the end of 2022, State Police will go full "E" on the 'new(er)' 700 system and the 'new and improved' 700 system will be rolled out parallel to the existing 700 and eventual migrations...So time will tell what gets done, what doesnt and when...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
700? Interesting, as the state allocation of 700 MHz frequencies are at a premium, especially with neighboring states drawing from the same pool (the reason they had to change around some channels at the Ramapo site...conflicts with the MTA's new system). What is to become of all those 800 MHz frequencies the SZ system currently runs on? It'll be an interesting buildout/rollout/migration to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.